A refurbed Type 4 Bedrock 607

Dominic Greco

Hi gang,
I just finished cleaning up an old Type 4 Bedrock 607 I got from Jim Reed almost 2 years ago (talk about procrastination!).

Here are some before pictures:
BR607_before1.jpg

BR607_before2.jpg

BR607_before3.jpg

I soaked all cast iron parts in Evaporust for 24 hours and then wire brushed them clean. The sole wasn't in bad shape so it got only a minor lapping, just to remove some scratches. The sides also were scratched, so they got the same treatment.

Some after pictures:
BR607_after1.jpg

BR607_after2.jpg

BR607_after3.jpg

I honed a camber on the iron, tried it out on some cherry and was pretty pleased with the results. The only thing I'm probably going to change about this plane is the tote. It's pretty banged up and is chipped out at the base near the front screw. I think I'll end up making a new Tote and knob from walnut and ebonizing them so they look more "classic".

BR607_after4.jpg

Thanks for viewing

Nice job, Dom!

I love those old round-sided Bedrocks. Twixt them, and the (single K) Keen Kutters, I have about half a dozen - all of which are my "go to's."

very nice dom, i got a old no. 6 baily in the worksd and i hope it can come out as good as yours i to need a differnt tote, but it other wize was in fair shape.. you done good :D:thumb:

Nice tool.

So are you flattening your own stock? I've just started into that myself for a pair of small tables i'm making. It's definitely a skill that takes a bit of trial and error to learn - at least for me.

Are you using the stock cutting iron/chip breaker assembly, or are you using thicker replacements? I found that the .090" A2 blades do a lot to reduce chatter.

Enjoy the sweet shavings.

paulh

Stock Chip Breaker

So are you flattening your own stock? I've just started into that myself for a pair of small tables i'm making. It's definitely a skill that takes a bit of trial and error to learn - at least for me.

Thanks for the compliment! And yeah, I'm flattening stock by hand. But I use my big jointer when time is of the essence.

Are you using the stock cutting iron/chip breaker assembly, or are you using thicker replacements? I found that the .090" A2 blades do a lot to reduce chatter.

I'm using the stock chip breaker and the iron that came with the 607. It's a "Victory" and not original to the Bedrock. The chip breaker was tuned up so that it mates with the iron seamlessly. I also sanded the top up to 1500 grit so that chips just slide off of it. I mean, you can see yourself in that thing!

I have an old laminated Hudson Tool Company iron that is as thick as the modern Hock or LV blades that I will install when this one wears out (if ever). Even with the current iron and chip breaker, I'm not experiencing any chatter. BUT I imagine that placing a Hock iron in there would be SWEET!

Another fine job there, Dom. :clap: I wonder if the guys making these planes all those many years ago would have guessed they would still be sought after all this time. :rolleyes:

That wild Vaughn!

Another fine job there, Dom. :clap: I wonder if the guys making these planes all those many years ago would have guessed they would still be sought after all this time. :rolleyes:

I say "that's wild" because I was just talking to a friend here at work and was saying the SAME thing! I mean, this Bedrock was made 100 years ago (Type 4 Bedrocks were made from 1900 to 1910)!

Think of the people that have held it and what they've made using it! It's a cool feeling to know that a century later this grand old tool is still in good condition and being used for it's intended purpose.