Coffee and End Table Ideas please

Warren White

I have some figured maple (for the top and possibly a skirt) and some walnut (that I plan on using for legs) that I would like to turn into a coffee table and two end tables. I have done some searching on this and other WW sites, and have looked in my own library, but would like some ideas from those who have built something that I might try.

As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words, but some words would help as well!

Thank you very much in advance. I look forward to sharing your expertise.

Warren

Hi Warren

Here's a table I built for my son this summer from ash and walnut.

A few details:
- Legs are tapered.
- I matched the grain on the drawer front and wrapped it with - 1/4 x 1/4 walnut strips.
- Drawer sides are doweled to the front and back using the Miller stepped dowels.
- Breadboard ends attached with walnut dowels
- Finish is BLO and Wax.

Let me know if you would like dimensions or other details.

Neil

Attachments

• IMG_1332.jpg
    IMG_1332.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_1333.jpg
    IMG_1333.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1334.jpg
    IMG_1334.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1335.jpg
    IMG_1335.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1336.jpg
    IMG_1336.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 18
Hi Neil

Thanks for the reply and your table looks very good. I really like the grain matching of the front and the use of Miller dowels in the drawer, and walnut treatment around the drawer.

I appreciate your taking the time to post this help in my future project.

Warren

I have some figured maple (for the top and possibly a skirt) and some walnut (that I plan on using for legs) that I would like to turn into a coffee table and two end tables. I have done some searching on this and other WW sites, and have looked in my own library, but would like some ideas from those who have built something that I might try.

As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words, but some words would help as well!

Thank you very much in advance. I look forward to sharing your expertise.

Warren
Hi Warren, Welcome. Those photos from Neil were real nice. Pictures help me alot too. Just a though in accord with what you mentioned, I think the maple and the walnut will be beautiful together, but be careful seperating the two or they will look "seperate" like LEGS...Walnut.....................TOP..Maple, I would try to either put some walnut in or near the top,and or some maple in or near the legs to tie the two woods in visually. Hope to see you posting your progress, and good luck!!:)
Shaz

Robert,

That is an excellent suggestion. I do love tying the two woods together to include the top. As for seeing pictures, it will be a while. Although I live in 'sunny' California, it is 45 degrees outside and my 'shop' is an unheated garage.

Thanks for the reply.
Warren