Two types of woodworkers: Those that haven't had a kickback...

Personally, I don't like or use blade guards. I learned on saws that didn't have them, so I've never gotten along well with saws that do had them. They get in the way of push sticks or push blocks like the Grrrippers (especially when ripping thin strips), and to me cause more safety issues than they solve. There are other folks, however, who don't feel comfortable without a blade guard, and I fully agree that they should use whatever method works and feels best for them.

Dan,

Here we go! ;) But don't worry, it's just friendly debate. :thumb:

I have the exact same saw as Vaughn. He took his guard off, I leave mine on. I will NEVER, EVER make a cut on it, ever again, without the guard or some equivalent safety device on it. Never ever. :p

If that makes me a wimp, that's fine. I have faced down bears in the wilderness. Dealt with rattlesnakes with my bare hands. I have even ripped jumping cactus spines all at once out of a frenchwoman's leg! (that last was the scariest! She's still not speaking to me! ;)

But I once had the guard off. I was cutting small pieces. After about a dozen cuts, I thoughtlessly reached over to clear a straggling offcut... :doh:

OK, so I'm a complete doofus. ;)

But the point is, I *am* a complete doofus, and I know it. That's why that guard is staying on there! ;)

Thanks,

Bill

I've had a couple, but I'll always remember my first. I was splitting a 2x4 about 20" long on a saw with no guard or splitter.

I remember the flash of wood as it passed by my head and landed about 30 feet behind me.

Another time I was putting a slot down a smaller piece and I wasn't paying attention to make sure it cleared the back of the blade. I nasty gash on my index finger, no stitches and all intact.

I was very angry with myself for making such a thoughtless mistake. But now I plan every cut utilizing all the safety equipment that is appropriate. Push sticks, push blocks, feather boards and a splitting knife on the saw.

I am in the always, always, always use a splitter clamp. Not to is asking for kickback. I also hate the factory guards. Most are a royal pain. So I cut one up and reshaped the splitter part and use that, tossed the rest of it. Splitter only comes off for dado cuts.

I have a old Unisaw over head guard that I keep on the saw. But with many narrower cuts I have to flip them back out of the way, but most of the time they are down. Figure if I hit it with my finger I will stop before I hit the blade. I am all for guards but many times they are in the way. That's why I like my overhead guard. I can just flip it out of way and then flip it back down.

I am in the always, always, always use a splitter clamp. ...I have a old Unisaw over head guard that I keep on the saw. But with many narrower cuts I have to flip them back out of the way, but most of the time they are down. Figure if I hit it with my finger I will stop before I hit the blade. I am all for guards but many times they are in the way. That's why I like my overhead guard. I can just flip it out of way and then flip it back down.

That's the guard I have, too.

I like the 'flip back' feature - it's very handy for narrower cuts. Just flip the side that's closest to the fence back, and still have the outboard side of the blade protected. It's also handy to be able to just flip it back out of the way when changing blades, etc.

I've seen - and used - others, but I really haven't found on I like any better than that old model Uniguard. I did upgrade the splitter to a Biesemeyer, though, and it only comes off the saw for non-through cuts.

I am new to woodworking been doing this since Janurary. Just lately I took the gaurd off my table saw since it seemed to get in the way more often than not.
So should I put it back on? is it that much safer with it on that the inconvienience is worth it?
Thanks
Dan

Since we have already hi-jacked Ned's original thead;. . . . like some others, I use the MJ splitter and Grr-Ripper(s) and other various pushing implements depending on the cut. I do have an overarm guard that I use whenever possible but, like others find it only safe when there is adequate material on either side of the guard to allow control. The guard easily swings in and out of use so there is no excuse for not using it when safe.

Most thin or small cuts negate the use of the guard BUT, the splitter and some form of block is always present. The "no finger" zone always applies.

I am new to woodworking been doing this since Janurary. Just lately I took the gaurd off my table saw since it seemed to get in the way more often than not.
So should I put it back on? is it that much safer with it on that the inconvienience is worth it?
Thanks
Dan

I do this for a living and never even put the blade guard on my latest saw. But it's "safe" not to use one ONLY when you fully understand the physics of wood cutting and the situations that are likely to cause problems. For example, I had a couple kickbacks early on, and now I can just envision the cut being made and know wether there's a risk of kickback.

I'd suggest you start out with the bladeguard to provide protection until your skills are developed. Now I never use one because it keeps me from seeing what's going on with the cut. With one I can't see if the wood's closing behind the cut, and they're generally just a pain in the butt.

Thanks all for your replies. I am getting very comfortable with my table saw, but I have to admit when I took the gurad off my comfortable feeling decreased quite a bit.
I use push sticks and rarely put my hnads near the blad, the only time I did recently was cutting some 3/4" X 3/8" oak to use as a runner for a cross cut sled. I basically fed in from one side and reached over the saw and pulled it through. I could not figure another way around it. Made me nervious but I got through it :eek:
I appoligize for hyjacking this thread but I got some great advice.

I think my guard is going back on for now :thumb:

Thanks again
Dan

Since we have already hi-jacked Ned's original thead;. . . . like some others, I use the MJ splitter and Grr-Ripper(s) and other various pushing implements depending on the cut. I do have an overarm guard that I use whenever possible but, like others find it only safe when there is adequate material on either side of the guard to allow control. The guard easily swings in and out of use so there is no excuse for not using it when safe.

Most thin or small cuts negate the use of the guard BUT, the splitter and some form of block is always present. The "no finger" zone always applies.

Do ANY of my threads ever stay on topic? I'm surprised there hasn't been a digression into an Aparto comparision with my shop build (before now)

And Discussion about safety and solutions are why I posted originally. IT's all good!

Thanks all for your replies. I am getting very comfortable with my table saw, but I have to admit when I took the gurad off my comfortable feeling decreased quite a bit.
I use push sticks and rarely put my hnads near the blad, the only time I did recently was cutting some 3/4" X 3/8" oak to use as a runner for a cross cut sled. I basically fed in from one side and reached over the saw and pulled it through. I could not figure another way around it. Made me nervious but I got through it :eek:
I appoligize for hyjacking this thread but I got some great advice.

I think my guard is going back on for now :thumb:

Thanks again
Dan

Dan,
no hijack involved. I posted the original to remind folks about safety, and any discussion, ESPECIALLY questions from a newer woodworker is Absolutely what the Thread (and the forum) is all about.

Welcome aboard, hope you enjoy your time here, and that we can help more in the future!

Last edited:
my saws have no guards.

Will it cut a Winnie?

Although I respect the work you do and also have seen fellows who profess to be in constant awareness to their saws and practice keeping the didgits ay bay, I also know some oldtimers who have difficulty scratchin' or pickin'.

I prefer not the new sawstop as I feel it allows complacency with the operator, but I prefer the guards whenever possible. Yes there are times when they are in the way but so are crosing guards at intersections and security guards at airports, it is just something to deal with.

Not having guards requires you to be aware of possible dangers and prevent kickbacks and such. Being prepared for kickbacks is what prevents them, not so much the guards. Simple devices such as a push stick that not only grips the piece but pushes down and past the blade is a great preventive measure.

I would dare to say the instigator of this string had forgotten to reach for his pushing device before starting the saw and may have even been pushing from the offcut side and allowed the piece trapped between the fence and blade to be free floating. I don't know this as fact of the chain of events but I do know as fact that that procedure will cause those exact results (or worse) proven by the nice dent in the fridge door in my dust bowl shop. :eek:

BTDT but always with a mind toward the possibilities.

Will it cut a Winnie?

Although I respect the work you do and also have seen fellows who profess to be in constant awareness to their saws and practice keeping the didgits ay bay, I also know some oldtimers who have difficulty scratchin' or pickin'.

I prefer not the new sawstop as I feel it allows complacency with the operator, but I prefer the guards whenever possible. Yes there are times when they are in the way but so are crosing guards at intersections and security guards at airports, it is just something to deal with.

Not having guards requires you to be aware of possible dangers and prevent kickbacks and such. Being prepared for kickbacks is what prevents them, not so much the guards. Simple devices such as a push stick that not only grips the piece but pushes down and past the blade is a great preventive measure.

I would dare to say the instigator of this string had forgotten to reach for his pushing device before starting the saw and may have even been pushing from the offcut side and allowed the piece trapped between the fence and blade to be free floating. I don't know this as fact of the chain of events but I do know as fact that that procedure will cause those exact results (or worse) proven by the nice dent in the fridge door in my dust bowl shop. :eek:

BTDT but always with a mind toward the possibilities.

Unless the piece i'm cutting is over 6" Wide, I Always use a pusher usually a 'tail hook' with a tall handle. In this case I had ripped a relatively thin board, and after it had cleared the back of the saw and fallen out behind, the tip of the pusher contacted the blade when It dropped down. gone in a blink of an eye.

...and after it had cleared the back of the saw and fallen out behind, the tip of the pusher contacted the blade when It dropped down. gone in a blink of an eye.

That illustrates why I very seldom use a push stick. I've had a few make contact with the blade, and it can be a breathtaking event. I much prefer a push block (Grrripper) set up to clear the blade and to hold the piece being cut on both sides of the blade.

Oh, and what's all this talk about thread hijacking? All our threads at FW are always strictly on-topic and they never stray. Especially when ...oh wait...look!...a butterfly!

butterfly_watching.jpg

:rofl:

Ned has it right. We're here to share information, and that's exactly what we're doing. ;)

I believe the trick to operating a saw safely and other heavy machinery is similar to driving a car.
You must never let your mind drift or get distracted.
If your pushing wood through a tablesaw and at the same time are thnking about what youre doing later that day, or about anything else, its time to stop; the machine and shut the shop.

I believe the trick to operating a saw safely and other heavy machinery is similar to driving a car.
You must never let your mind drift or get distracted.

Got that right !

I once sent a 1/4"x1/4"x5' piece of maple across the shop faster then any of my arrows ever flew. It went through once shop wall into the next work area.

Needless to say I learned allot back on that day.

so when IM dont working today, I decided to cut up some junk ply and toss it, just too many holes and in poor shape, some water damage.
So Im cutting it into 4 inch srips, to tie up and discard, and I never take my eyes off the blade or table.
I cut a piece, a car pulls up in my driveway,I dont take my eyes off the blade or my hands, never, I finish the cut, pick up the wood, shut the machine.
Im talking with someone for a while, I go back to work, I turn on machine, a stinking piece of pvc rolls off the top shelf, hits the wood on the saw, just touches it enough to move it a couple of inches, it smashes me in upper abdomen, hard, I lost my breath. Im embarrassed, this is why I must clean up the garage. I have a beautiful welt. Almost the exact size of the piece that clobbered me. Im really embarrassed, but feel ike sharing it anyway.

Attachments

• wood stuff 758 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 758 (Medium).jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 20