Walnut Bowl

Here is a walnut bowl I finished turning. It is 8 3/4" across and 2 1/4" deep. Finished with Antique Oil.

Attachments

• Walnut Salad Bowl 1.jpg
    Walnut Salad Bowl 1.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 45
  • Walnut Salad Bowl 2.jpg
    Walnut Salad Bowl 2.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 37
Thanks again. It was a toss up between this one and the ambrosia maple. Of course I love turning walnut especially when I can manipulate it to get the grain to show as it is.

Looks like you were able to get the grain centered very well. Excellent work, Bernie. You've also turned some nice clean lines on this open form. Beautiful work.

Thanks again. It was a toss up between this one and the ambrosia maple. Of course I love turning walnut especially when I can manipulate it to get the grain to show as it is.

Bernie,
You always seem to have such nice bottoms on your bowls... (I always look to see how the bottoms are finished - I think the bottom finish is the mark of a real craftsman - once saw a turner's work in a gallery over in NC who was supposed to be a really high dollar artist and his bottoms weren't even finished at all - my opinion was that it detracted from the piece)...

how do you mount your bowls.. do you use a waste block or a tenon on the bottom?? I don't do many waste blocks because I start with rough blanks most of the time, face plate mount and either do a tenon or a recessed cut for the chucks.

Bernie,
You always seem to have such nice bottoms on your bowls... (I always look to see how the bottoms are finished - I think the bottom finish is the mark of a real craftsman - once saw a turner's work in a gallery over in NC who was supposed to be a really high dollar artist and his bottoms weren't even finished at all - my opinion was that it detracted from the piece)...

how do you mount your bowls.. do you use a waste block or a tenon on the bottom?? I don't do many waste blocks because I start with rough blanks most of the time, face plate mount and either do a tenon or a recessed cut for the chucks.

Chuck I mount my blanks on a faceplate and use a tenon on 95% of my bowls. I use either my holdfast vacuum chuck or a donut chuck depending how lazy I am or if it has bug holes in it to turn off the bottom. If using a donut chuck I leave the chuck on the blank and put it on the tailstock so my bowl is perfectly center in either chuck and turn off the tenon leaving the bottom concaved.

I always make sure my bottoms are done just so so because most people pick the bowl up look at the bottom first. So I am pretty picky about my bottoms.

Another nice one, Bernie. :thumb: Great job. Did you turn it wet, or start with dried stock?

95% of my bowl blanks are green Vaughn. I do the DNA drying also. I rough turned these blanks on 2/26. DNA'd for 4 days and wrapped to dry. I just put them back on the lathe yesterday. So about 37 days to dry. I use a scale I bought off ebay for $27 that weighs into the tenth of ounces and when it quits losing weight for 3 or 4 days she goes back on the lathe.

Thanks to all. Jim that did have a crack in it. I sanded till I had the crack full of sanding dust and then hit it with thin CA. Funny part was it didn't go all the way thru but wasn't taking any chances. If I have bowls with big cracks I use 5 minute epoxy mixed with sanding dust from that wood. I save sanding dust from different woods just for this purpose. I fill the crack with the epoxy/dust and let it dry generally overnight then finish out.