ORANGE AGATE ?

This is the Woodcraft description "Orange agate is an orange/brown to dark brown colored wood. It can be mistaken for a variation of cocobolo, but they are not related. This wood is hard, beautifully grained and works and finishes like a dream. Scientific name is Platimiscium."
Haven't used it:dunno:

If I recall correctly, Jim King down in Peru runs into orange agate occasionally.

My granddad was a rockhound, so I've known about agate (the stone) since I was a kid. It's only been in the past few years that I've heard of agate (the wood).

from the sounds both have some appealing characteristics,, but also wouldnt want to be hit by either:) when you get some all get a dab for me i will be bye around the 18th:)

thanks frank i just tried to find a link to see what it looked like and got now where good, but your pic sure does:):thumb: that some purty stuff.. is it pricey in todays standards? just had another question pop up.. those arent nested bowls are they? please tell me that the bowl is one with rings not 8 differnt bowls stacked together...

Last edited:
Jim King is in Peru S.A. helping them with a forestry program and part of it is identifying and naming wood species. I don't know for sure, but he could have named it. Dalmation wood is one I know he named. It should have been Kryptonite. That stuff is the hardest I've ever turned. I have to re-sharpen my tools about every 3-4 minutes.

I haave turned some Orange Agate and is great looking and a joy to turn.

Bruce

Jim King is in Peru S.A. helping them with a forestry program and part of it is identifying and naming wood species. I don't know for sure, but he could have named it. Dalmation wood is one I know he named. It should have been Kryptonite. That stuff is the hardest I've ever turned. I have to re-sharpen my tools about every 3-4 minutes.

I haave turned some Orange Agate and is great looking and a joy to turn.

Bruce

Jim has written a long treatise on wood names. Basically, he considers many scientists arrogant jerks who frequently 'discover' already known trees then gives them new names. This has resulted in some trees having up to 30 different names. Very confusing. Also, much wood is illegally exported from SA as something they are not. Add another to the confusion pile.

It looks a little like Osage Orange, I've spent some time in Peru and worked with some of the hard woods there on mission trips. Some of that wood you can't drive a nail into.
Beautiful bowl.

It looks a little like Osage Orange, I've spent some time in Peru and worked with some of the hard woods there on mission trips. Some of that wood you can't drive a nail into.
Beautiful bowl.

I have corresponded extensively with Jim King (he has been very helpful with interesting facts I'm using in the book I'm currently working on). He confirms that. One wood in particular he says "grows like grass" but is extremely hard. It is highly toxic. However it is exported, illegally, in large quantities as 'rosewood' or whatever.
Digress, but important: whenever working with SA hardwoods, wear a mask and wash your hands when finished. Even woods not labeled as toxic can be very powerful irritants.