Laundry Cabinet is finished! UPDATED

Jeff Horton

This is the dry fit of half of my wifes Christmas she asked for. Its a free standing cabinet for the Laundry room. There are four shelves on the right hand side for Laundry baskets.

laundry_cab.jpg

On the other side there will be door, the same style as the sides, that has yet to be built. Adjustable shelves inside. I need to cut the dado's for the shelf hardware and go buy some plywood for the back and she is ready to glue up.

It's made from popular and will be painted. Must admit I am not looking forward to painting this one even though I will spray it.

Jeff

Last edited:
No Reg, I think is safe to say my gun doesn't ;)

Chris, the shelves are resting in dado's. Scratched my head on that one for a while. Cutting dado's on a TS 50" up wasn't that easy. But it was the best choice. Ensured everything lined up properly and it was good and strong.

I have some decorative brakets to add to the bottom corners of the shelves to dress them up slightly.

OK, out the door to pick up that plywood before the rain gets here.

Looks like a great addition to the house. I like the kick plate - makes the cabinet look like furniture. We (I) need to organize too - but I like some, I haven't shown this to my wife. Is it just me or is the shelves on the left side of the cabinet going to be huge? From the picture it looks like you could put a stackable washer and dryer in there ;) .

If it's not one thing, it's another. It's always something!

I wish I could type with a Rosana Rosana Dana accent here!

I did the dry fit on the Laundry cabinet. It went well, discovered one piece that was just a tad long. All in all I was well pleased. So last night I studied it for a while and decided on how I wanted to put it together.

I started with base. I decided to glue it up to simplify the final glue up of all the big panels. Today I put it in place preparing for my next glue up. Humm it's a tad to long?? After a lot of head scratching :huh: I finally realized I glued up the top panel to the base pieces! :doh: :bang: It's an 1/4 inch wider than the base.

I was able to cut it apart and save the bases. Just cut a new plywood base and glued it back up. Will use the old piece of ply for something else. But man, you try so hard and forget to mark a piece and wham. It's bites you!

On the bright side I guess I am improving because it only took about 30 minutes to fix this mistake. :eek:

Is it just me or is the shelves on the left side of the cabinet going to be huge? From the picture it looks like you could put a stackable washer and dryer in there ;) .

Well, the unit is 48" wide. The shelves are 16" or so. So I guess that side is 30" or so wide. So I guess they are kind of large. We just sized it fit in the space we have. And you know there are two things you never have enough of. Clamps and storage! ;)

Whoo Hooo! It's glued up and standing up right! I think this thing gets bigger all the time. :)

l_cab3.jpg

Got to let it dry overnight. Tomorrow afternoon I will finish up these brackets and install them. The small ones go in the corner of the open shelfs. Just a little something to dress up the plain looking shelves. And I made a traditional Arts and Crafts bracket for the sides. Haven't decided on exactly what I am going to do on the top but I will make it work with the brackets. ;)

l_cab1.jpgl_cab2.jpg

Next is to make the door. And for course fit it to the opening. But that is fun to me. Lots of quality time with my hand tools. :thumb:

Jeff

Last edited:
Jeff

That is looking good, it will be fun to see it in place becasue that this is BIG! Given the twists and turns in the hallways in our little place, if I were to build something like that (which I NEVER will because we don't have the space :D
I would have to build it in place!

Jay

Jay, I had a bad thought last night. I got to wondering if it would come in the door. :eek: After all, it is pretty deep. I skulked out to the laundry to look and realized I made it the same size (width) as the freezer that it will sit beside. So it obviously would fit in. :doh:

Of course, now my concern is how blasted heavy it is tuning out to be. I might have to recruit someone other than my wife to help me bring it in.

One of the things I love about my basement shop is the fact I can drive my truck inside. Load it up and drive it around to the front door or garage to unload. You would have a hard time getting this up a set of stairs for sure!

Have had some distractions and not been able to work on this. Been waiting.... still waiting on the wife to decide on hardware. So today I made an executive decision and bought some hinges so I could move forward on this.

This is just a primer coat, the color has changed to a deep red. I like that much better than just a white! I need to prime the back and the door. Then I will spray the cabinet. I left the back off for now so it would be easier to spray inside those deep shelves.

I still need to make the shelves for the inside but of course I don't know how many she wants yet. :rolleyes:

l_cab4.jpg l_cab5.jpg l_cab6.jpg

The Chameleon Cabinet!!

My primer changed colors on me!!! In middle of the job too!

l_cab8.jpg l_cab7.jpg

Live and learn I guess. OK, Dianne works at the building supply in the paint department. She is an interior designer and we have worked with her for years now. She does all my paints for me. Well she messed me up! Of course this is the first time so I guess I shouldn't complain.

I noticed when I sprayed the primer it just didn't look right. I was also surprised that it was white. I was sure Dianne would tint it dark since I had red going on the cabinet. But I trust her judgement and sprayed it anyway. It didn't want to spray very well either and I wondered why she gave me such a lousy primer. That was not like her.

Today I went to Lab to prime the rest of the parts and decided to thin the primer some more and see if was just to thick. I decided to thin the whole can instead of just a small amount since I would use the rest on the overhead cabinets I have to build. When I started mixing it this weird black stuff started to show up in my paint! :eek: I couldn't figure out what had gotten in there.

The more I mixed the more it came to the top. Then it hit me! :doh: She forgot to shake the paint and mix the tints she had put in there! :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh:

Dianne never forgets, thats why I didn't even stir it. I Just knew she had mixed it up really well. I just poured it out and started painting. Well mark that one up to a lesson learned. So I reprimed it, gray this time! :rolleyes:

Jeff, that cabinet looks great. Can you get a couple of close ups of the foot design, looks interesting.

I like the brackets on the out side of the cabinted holding up the top. Very nice.

I have a question with regard to shelf and panel.

How did you deal with the space between the shelf and the panel? I imagine the shelf is notched?

Painting these oversized cubby holes is a royal pain!! I need a swivel fitting on the end of the spray gun badly! I finally found a way I could sort of get in the bottom two to spray the bottom of the shelf above.

l_cab9.jpg

Can you get a couple of close ups of the foot design, looks interesting................

How did you deal with the space between the shelf and the panel? I imagine the shelf is notched?

The feet are sort of Greene & Greene and Southwest inspired. In other words my wife or I just pulled it out of the air. I think she did. We used this on the feet of the bench in the Laundry room.

l_cab10.jpg

As for the shelves, that was one thing I didn't think about till I started to build it. After much debate I decided the simplest thing to do was to dado down to the panel. That way I didn't leave a gap between the shelf and sides. It worked out pretty well.

l_cab11.jpg

Jeff
Glad to see the end of this project in site!

Getting close!

Painted yesterday morning and that was probably a mistake. I am using animal (enamel) paint and it takes sooooo long to dry. I couldn't do much in the Lab because I didn't want sawdust in the paint.

Note to self: Self paint at night when you done.

This morning I just had to put the door in place, even though the back side is still primer, to see how it would look. Man am I pleased! This the first project I don't have some serious (to me anyway) problems with. LOML life is happy to and she is by far my biggest critic!

l_cab12.jpg l_cab13.jpg
Of course this morning I did realize something. When I mounted the hinges I put them on the wrong side. :doh: The good thing was my wife said no, thats how I want them. After I showed her why the door would be in the way when open she realized it would be better the other way. So that made me feel better, she was trying to make the same mistake. At least it is just filling eight holes and a little touch up painting.

Should finish this up this week and them do some overhead cabients. That will finish up my wifes Christmas gifts.

Jeff <*\\><
Who is exicted to see this one finished and in place