Walnut Crotch NE

Mark Cothren

Finished this one up today... sanded just enough to remove any tooling for a more natural feel and then wiped on some antique oil.

Comments/critiques/suggestions all welcomed...

WalnutNE01.jpg

WalnutNE02.jpg

WalnutNE03.jpg

I really like this one, Mark. :clap: The uneven rim catches my eye in a good way, and everything else about it just works great. :thumb:

Very nice Mark:thumb:! I'm amazed how you guys can turn things like this and keep the rough edges from blowing off. One day I'm going to give this a try but it looks like I need to buy a chuck first:D.

just so i can possibly salvage a piece of that brown wood for someone.. could you show me the way the blank looked prior to being turned just a decent sketch so i know how to cut it the right way for one you spinny guys? thanks almost forgot very nice NE bowl i like the NE style and your crotch piece was super.

Amazing Mark :bow::bow: Everything about that one catches the eye. This may sound wrong, and it certainly is not meant to...but it looks like your cutting out of the same tree with the coloring and bark. I'm guessing you have a large supply of a similar tree??...'cause it's a really cool tree :thumb::thumb::D

Last edited:
Amazing Mark :bow::bow: Everything about that one catches the eye. This may sound wrong, and it certainly is not meant to...but it looks like your cutting out of the same tree with the coloring and bark. I'm guessing you have a large supply of a similar tree??...'cause it's a really cool tree :thumb::thumb::D

I think he had a 1400 foot walnut tree blow down in a storm. :D He sure doesn't seem to run out of the stuff. :rolleyes:

just so i can possibly salvage a piece of that brown wood for someone.. could you show me the way the blank looked prior to being turned just a decent sketch so i know how to cut it the right way for one you spinny guys? thanks almost forgot very nice NE bowl i like the NE style and your crotch piece was super.

Larry, this is as close to a "before" picture as I have... it was a piece that had limbs coming off the trunk, so not a typical crotch piece as you'd probably think of... I just cut the limbs off and then cut the piece in half the same way you'd halve any other log into blanks.

NastyWalnut02.jpg

NastyWalnut03.jpg

...but it looks like your cutting out of the same tree with the coloring and bark. I'm guessing you have a large supply of a similar tree??

I have collected wood from quite a few Walnut trees around here. The only one I've cut down myself was one that was dying and was right next to a guy's barn. He wanted it taken out, so I obliged. All the other Walnut I've harvested has been from trees that were either blown down during a storm, or were removed by homeowners who don't like the Walnuts dropping in their yards. There is quite an abundance of Walnut here in Arkansas, so I've learned since I started turning. Right now, looking out in my back yard, I still have probably 25-30 chunks of it laying around just waiting on a turn on the lathe.

When I get a chance for some wood, I take my trailer and get as much as I can haul... I ain't greedy (well, yes, I am) but I sure ain't gonna leave any laying around for firewood...:)

Last edited:
ok i know my limits on that spinnie thing that yall make them round things on but what or how do you tool the top edge of the bowl and not have little pcs everywhere? i love that bowl, very nice work.