new chainsaw

Frank Fusco

When my El Cheapo Homelite from Home Depot started giving problems and I couldn't buy maintenance parts from them, I decided it was time to bite the bullet and buy something that would work.
Got a Stihl, which I should have done in first place. Their products are reliable and our local dealer gives great service.
I still have about one million (conservative estimate) branches of all sizes laying in the yard from our January ice storm. Many are too large to move intact and need cutting to handle.
I had planned on buying the Stihl 290 but it was over budget. Then they pointed out a new model, the MS 211 and that is what I ended up with. Spent a little extra on the Easy Start and, boy oh boy, am I happy I did. Gentle pull and a secondary spring does the starting.
The saw is a 35.2cc with 16" bar/chain. I was going to get an 18 incher but that was about an $84.00 extra option. Pass. My previous 16" saws did 99% of what I asked of them.
It is a lighter and more compact package than saws I have had in past that were in the 34-35cc engine size range. I do like.

Attachments

• chain saw.jpg
    chain saw.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 37
Congrats Frank! My dad has the Easy Start as well and it is so easy to start!

Sounds like you're going to have quite a brush pile...your lucky you can let them lay and don't have the neighbors/city making sure you have them all picked up in a timely manner.

Frank , nothing like a Stihl to make a man feel like he done some work. Chain saw work is like hunting, give me the opportunity and I'm ready. Now be careful with that thing.

Congrats Frank! My dad has the Easy Start as well and it is so easy to start!

Sounds like you're going to have quite a brush pile...your lucky you can let them lay and don't have the neighbors/city making sure you have them all picked up in a timely manner.

Neighbors were in same pickle except they are wealthy (really) and immediately hired help to clean up. We live in a semi-rural county area, no one will hassle me.

Congrats, Frank. That's a fine little saw...looks perfect for brush clearing and such. It should be cutting wood at least as long as you will be. :thumb:

Every time I use my Stihl I get a big ol' smile on my face. Like you, I can only go so long before my back starts screaming at me, but having a nice saw makes the pain a bit more bearable.

Frank , That's why the good Lord gave me 3 very able body son's, LOL I crushed 3,4&5 in my lower back. Not adverse to hard work but I watch what I do and these days I do what I can.

When it comes to saving your back, here is a logger trick that always works...get the longest bar you can for your saw. Once you have filed it enough times you will instinctively keep it out of the dirt, but yet not have to bend over nearly as much. I run a 2 foot bar on my saw for that reason, and because when you are limbing you can snap limbs off ahead of you a few feet out...it makes a huge difference when you are trying to walk in the stuff.

As for your saw itself Frank, I think you will be very happy with Stihl. I run both Husky and Stihl and my Husky's last a year or two at most...my Stihl's are all over 16 years old and still going. Incredibly robust saws and I beat on them bad!! When the bar gets stuck in a log, I don't cut it out with another saw...nope just yard the log out with a skidder or tractor from around it. Heck in the last 10 years its never seen 2 stroke oil, I just dump in some regular 10w-40 and go for it...don't even measure. The same for the bar and chain oil...flushed hydraulic fluid from the tractors off the farm goes into that compartment.

As for the Easy Start...I have never heard of that before, but it sounds better then the old system they used to put on saws. It was a decompression button, but sticks would often get twisted off and get the decompression button stuck. I have had 2 saws that happened too and so the Easy Start sounds like it works via the recoil and out of the way of regular forestry operations.:dunno: You'll love your new saw Frank though I'm sure. Definately a great toll to have. Congratulations.

Travis said, in part: "I think you will be very happy with Stihl"

I have two Stihl weedeaters. Actually, one is heavy duty, I call it a brush cutter. I use either a three blade thing on it that cuts heavy brush or a blade that has chain saw type teeth. With the chain-blade it will zip through a four inch tree like butter. And, it is more than 30 years old, still running strong and I used it very frequently when I had the farm. My other is used for grass trimming around the house, it replaced a Weed Eater brand El Cheapo from Wal-Mart that lasted less time than the life of a fruit fly. I'm a fan of Stihl.

I know you're going to love that saw.

A couple years ago I bought a Stihl 250C (Easy start equipped) and it's very nice to have. I especially got the Easy Start because I wasn't too long out of a major shoulder surgery and PT and wasn't sure how the shoulder would react to starting a chain saw. Well I'm glad to say that the shoulder recovered fully with no ill effects. But the Easy Start is still a sweet thing to have! :)

Enjoy!

John

So is it ok to buy new Stihl's or do I need to look for 20 year old Stihl's when the time comes? :huh:

Anyhow, I hope you have fun safely with your new saw, Frank. Might be you'll find something worth putting on the lathe out there in the detritus. :thumb:

Frank your post helped me decide. When I get a chainsaw it will be a Stil. I have been watching a program we have on Discovery channel here. Its about Heli - Loggers. These guys get helicopted into the bush in BC to cut down big redwood cedars. They climb up and trim the top of the tree off and they use a saw like you just bought. If they can use that for the trees they do then a small one like that will do anything with a little skill and patience.

When the top is off the they then cut the trunk from both sides and leave about 1-2 inches of wood holding the trunk up. The Chinook helicopter then comes in and with a grapple hooks the tree and breaks it off and flies it out. Unbelieveable to see. Apparently they get big bucks for the timber since it is very clear and has not suffered any mechanical force from dropping and dragging up the hill etc.

Very dangerous job.

Bottom line if guys like this get by with a small stihl like that then I guess we all can.:thumb:

I know you're going to love that saw.

A couple years ago I bought a Stihl 250C (Easy start equipped) and it's very nice to have. I especially got the Easy Start because I wasn't too long out of a major shoulder surgery and PT and wasn't sure how the shoulder would react to starting a chain saw. Well I'm glad to say that the shoulder recovered fully with no ill effects. But the Easy Start is still a sweet thing to have! :)Enjoy! John

That 250c is a sweet saw! I used one on a farm/ranch last summer. I cut down about 50 ohia and guava trees with it and just loved the easy start! I only wish the saw was mine instead of the el cheapo Sears saw. You can't even keep gas in it when it is put away as the gas cap swells up due to the ethanol in the fuel. I also found out that the saw is good for only 125 hours of use! After that all you can do with it is through it away!

Hey Frank, CONGRATULATIONS on the new Saw. There are SOME things in life that you just Really need to go First Class on, and I think YOU'VE DONE IT.:thumb::thumb::thumb:

I kinda did the same thing with weed eaters, after wearing out several, (seemingly prematurely), I finally bit the bullet and got a Stihl, and there was a World of difference with it. Work Safe and enjoy your new Tool.:thumb:

As the others have said, Stihl makes a great saw. But a few months after I bought my Stihl I saw an ad in the classifieds section of another outdoor forum that I'm a member of. It was for a Husqvarna 365 with a 28" bar and case, the ad said "Good condition" and he was only asking $200 for it. Now the 365 is what I'd classify as a big saw and my 16" Stihl wasn't going to be big enough to cut up some HUGE trees I have on my lot. I figured $200 was a good price for the saw so I gave the guy a call, hit the bank, and headed out to take a look. When I got there the guy was in the process of packing up everything. He had been transferred to Florida and had to be there in about a week and a half and had to fit everything he could take in his van. So he was dumping anything he could as quickly as possible. We walked out to the garage and he opened the door and the saw was sitting there on table. It had never even had fuel in it!!! He bought it the year before to cut spearing holes in the ice. Hence the 28" bar. He got busy that season and never got a chance to use it. Then with the transfer to Florida he really didn't think he'd have much need to cut holes in ice so he decided to dump it. :D It's one beast of a saw that will go through just about anything. I tell ya this saw has scary power. It's about the best deal I've ever found. That saw was easily $600+ when he purchased it.

So is it ok to buy new Stihl's or do I need to look for 20 year old Stihl's when the time comes? :huh:

Anyhow, I hope you have fun safely with your new saw, Frank. Might be you'll find something worth putting on the lathe out there in the detritus. :thumb:

Not likely, Mark. The big stuff I gave away for firewood. 90% of the rest is oak, some hickory also. I don't like turning either of these woods. Plus, as you call it "detritus". I can't get excited about this junk, it is just a back breaking chore as far as I am concerned. Eventually, all will go up in smoke.

The more you use that Stihl saw, the more you're gonna like it. I have the MS230 model, with an 18" bar, and I really like that saw. I don't have the EZ-Start on mine, but even so, it'll start on the second pull (first gentle pull to prime it, then it starts) nearly every time, and on the first pull when it's warm.

I went through a small Homelite saw in one season, and a Homelite leaf blower in three, but now I've got a Stihl saw, string trimmer (with EZ-Start, and I like it!) and the big (600 model?) 720 cfm backpack leaf blower. Haven't regretted any of them, and doubt I'll ever need to replace any of them!