Sharpening Round and Straight scrapers

:rolleyes:I need to sharpen my scrapers,round and straight, any suggestions. Haven't sharpened them yet and they are starting to just polish the surface. thats how long I've ignored the fact . Any jigs to use?:huh:

OK, it is official, I've been away from my lathe WAY too long :doh:

I read John's post and I thought he was talking about "Cabinet" scrapers :eek:

I did find the post via the "New Post" link, so I did not notice it was in the turner's section, but still, I read "Scrapers" and I think flat work............ :bang:

I'd better get that lathe dusted off............ :eek:

BTW, that video that Vaughn posted a link to covers the sharpening well.

PS, I've never seen anyone with their grinder set up at such a high level off the ground as that lady has it set :huh:

Hey Stu if its any comfort, I had exactly the same thoughts. Both for the scraper and the womans grinder height. Guess she is trying to avoid back problems or its to do with the video trying to get her head in at the same time as the grinder.:D

John, scrapers are about the easiest tool to sharpen that turners use. All you need in the way of jigs is a flat tool rest. Here's a pretty typical example of sharpening a scraper:

http://www.expertvillage.com/video/121123_sharpening-woodturning-tools-grinding-scraper.htm

Vaughn the problem I have about these "expert villages or the likes" is how do we rookies know they are really experts and not wanna bees.
I trust the forum because there would be conflicting views if someone posts an incorrect statement which allows a degree of arbitration. But a while ago someone actually posted a link to utube to a guy that definitely did not know what he was doing to point out how dangerous some of these so called experts can be.

When certain people on this forum talk I listen because their postings of their work illustrate that they know what they are doing.

So I guess my question to anyone is does expert village have a vetting process of sorts?

I will follow a link like this because it is Vaughn who is referring it, but I would not go looking there without an endorsement by someone like Vaughn.

Stu, I had exactly the same thought regarding grinder height. :huh:

Rob, as far as I can tell, Expert Village has no vetting process, because I've seen some really bad (dangerous) stuff posted there before. This particular video I can vouch for. She's using the same method I use (except I don't bother with the Sharpie). I've seen her other videos, and she seems to know what she's talking about. Someone on another forum mentioned she's a professional turner who had done a demonstration of some type for his club.

I cannot speak to her level of expertise but with regard to the height of the grinder; she is following Johannes Michelsen school of grinder height. He advocates having the grinder at that height so as to better be able to do his swept back grind on a bowl gouge. Attached is a video link of Mr. Michelsen grinding his bowl gouge.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wevTPeJoOrs

I imagine we would all benefit from having our grinder a bit higher as I have to bend over to use mine.

I imagine we would all benefit from having our grinder a bit higher as I have to bend over to use mine.

I agree....
I recently moved my grinder to a higher height because I was moving some stuf around while cleaning...did it by pure accident, but I will be keeping it at that height. Easier to see what I'm doing and no bending over!