Let a friend go...

I let our 6 year old male Saint go Wednesday afternoon. :(

He had terrible legs and had always been 'limited' in what he would/could do...but it was all he knew, so he got along okay. He'd obviously been having problems the past few months, and in the last couple days had issues with the porch steps on at least two occasions... falling down once, and getting 'stuck' (scared) on the way up another time.

Our vet gives them a 'sleepy shot' beforehand, which allows us humans to just hold them while they actually go to sleep, before proceeding with the IV. I chose to leave before the IV, although they'll let you stay for the rest if you want to.

Here is Dillon in happier times a couple years ago, with LOML and grandbaby Grace. He was very tolerant with her. :)

gradill3.jpg

KC

Aw man, KC, I'm real sorry to see the news. I got a hint it was coming a while back in one of your other posts, but it's always hard when that time finally comes. I'm sure he knew he was loved.

bummer man! my guys are getting old and i don`t look forward to the time...
dillon`s runnin`-n-jumpin` now..

Kirk, I'm sorry to hear of the loss of your beloved pet. Our pets are a extension of our family, we love them while we have them and sadly miss them when their brief time with us is gone.

We have Labs, several years ago my wife lost her Lab Tusa and I found the following poem and gave it to her, hoping to help ease her grief....maybe it will do the same for you and your family.

Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.
They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

KC, I'm saddened to hear about Dillon. I think I remember you saying something about his health a few months ago at SMC. Ditto the poem from Steve. The hurt will never go away, but it will get easier to tolerate. It's a good thing you have some other dogs...they really do help in the transition. Jim.

Kirk,
Truly sorry to hear of your loss. We had to put our blue merle to sleep about 14 years ago. It took 7 years for us to get around to getting Lokai (my avatar). He's now 7 and the LOML and I dread the day he will leave us.

KC..........My sincere sympathies for the loss of your friend! It's been 9 years since we had to do the same thing with our 2 friends. It wasn't easy but it was harder to watch them suffer as the joy of life had left their eyes as their health worsened. I miss ours......When the LOML and I retire in 3 years...I'll have another....or two.......My sympathies my friend!

That is never easy. We had to put our German Shepard, Aries, down this past July, on my sons birthday no less. It was a tough loss for the family. I told my son and girls that it was better to do that then watch her suffer. In fact, my son who was turning three that day immediately named a stuffed bear Aries.

Good luck

Nothing much you say. I've had to do that a couple of times and it just flat hurts. We have a couple of pets getting up in age and I really dread loosing them.

Jeff
With one of them sitting in his lap as he types this.

Soooooooo sorry to hear and looked like a nice dog. We first get them as pets then they become members of the family we look fwd to seeing and before you know it your talking to them and they , I think ,understand what we are saying and know how we feel.

I am sorry for your loss. Been there and done that several times. There is little I can say to ease your grief. We feel relief in knowing we did what was best for our canine companions.

KC, I am sincerely sorry that it was necessary to send your friend over the rainbow bridge. I have had to do it twice in the past 3 years, and it never gets any easier. Your vet uses the same technique as ours, the dog/cat only feels the intitial tranquilizer injection. It is easy on them.

Enjoy the good memories, and slowly move on.

Sorry for your loss KC. I've been there and know it hurts. Please know that you have a lot of animal lovin friends thinking of you and LOYL at this time.

John & Terri