Red Eucalyptus Mortar and Pestle

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
My dad mentioned a while back that he'd like me to make him a mortar and pestle to use in the kitchen. His birthday is coming up, so this is what he's getting. It's red eucalyptus, about 4" wide by 3 1/2" tall, sanded to 600 grit and finished with Myland's Friction Polish and a wax wheel buffing. It's been a while since I turned any of my red euc stash. It's pretty dry now, and plenty hard, but it never fails to please when it comes to nice grain. This stuff has the look and smooth texture of marble.

Bowl 062 - 02 800.jpg Bowl 062 - 04 800.jpg Bowl 062 - 05 800.jpg

It's nothing fancy, but I'm pretty sure my Dad will like it.

Comments and critiques are appreciated, as usual...

Nothing not to like about that. Wood may not have the fanciest grain but it does have a very pleasing color and look. Ye dun gud. :thumb: He will like.
BTW, how hard is eucalyptus? Is it like the rosewoods and such?

Vaughn great turning my only comment is that wood is surely not a real challenge for a guy of your talents Eh!:D

I mean where is the complexity in the grain. The eucalyptus tree is known as the bluegum tree in SA, and was brought to the country to grow and be harvested for mine props. Its a tough wood and is also used for school desk tops because of the straight grain and the easy glue ups when making panels but it is a rather boring wood in that sense dont you think? The version that grows in SA originated from Australia. Very fast growing wood from what I rember.

Rob,

Saying bad things about eucalyptus to a Californian is close to blasphemy! :rofl:

Legend has it they were brought to California for making railroad ties (my grandfather worked for the SDA&E railroad way back near the turn of the last century). It's probably apocryphal, but the story stuck. Once they got there (far from the insects that chew the leaves in Oz), they spread all over, and now they're *the* major vegetation feature along the coasts... especially in terms of height.

Yes, I've seen some bland boards, but I've also seen some that were stunning. There are at least a couple dozen species that have been widely planted, with lots of variation among them.

Great pieces, Vaughn. I'm putting those on my list of things to make for presents... :thumb:

Thanks,

Bill

Vaughn great turning my only comment is that wood is surely not a real challenge for a guy of your talents Eh!:D

I mean where is the complexity in the grain. The eucalyptus tree is known as the bluegum tree in SA, and was brought to the country to grow and be harvested for mine props. Its a tough wood and is also used for school desk tops because of the straight grain and the easy glue ups when making panels but it is a rather boring wood in that sense dont you think? The version that grows in SA originated from Australia. Very fast growing wood from what I rember.

Rob, there are over 700 different types of eucalyptus. This particular one, the Ironbark Red Eucalyptus, actually has some very amazing grain...not plain at all. I've turned some other species of eucalyptus that were pretty bland, but not all of them are boring. ;)

Mhmmm.... I'm pretty sure that a very good " allioli" will come out of it.
Eucaliptus is a pretty wood. Does it smell like the seeds when you turn it?

BTW Allioli is a typical sauce we make here emulsionating garlic and olive oil on a mortar. It is ready when the pestle stands straight on it and sticks to the bottom of the mortar so that if you turn it upside down it doesn't fall off.:)

Very good stuff indeed, you can use it on grilled meat, pasta, squid with potatoes, grilled bread, and many other dishes. :)

Well, I could have used it before I was married. LOML doesn't like the smell of garlic, so I don't get to eat it as often as I'd like these days. It was difficult choosing between garlic and a beautiful lady, but so far I'm doing OK without the garlic. ;)