Red Eucalyptus Mortar and Pestle

Rob, there are over 700 different types of eucalyptus. This particular one, the Ironbark Red Eucalyptus, actually has some very amazing grain...not plain at all. I've turned some other species of eucalyptus that were pretty bland, but not all of them are boring. ;)

Sorry Vaughn I did not mean you any insult. Just teasing cause I am jealous.:D I guess I am slightly predujiced against the tree because in RSA its an invasive species and grows like a weed.

Just for background there is a program in RSA now that is called working for water. Since the climate in much of the country does not result in a great deal of water run off into the rivers, ( and there is very little snow to melt if any with few lakes apart from man made lakes/dams) the river water is a vital source for local rural inhabitants.

Trees like this and pine brought to the country back in the day for purposes such as mining, have been cultivated in huge man made forests in the wrong location. ( Headwaters of these rivers) Given the speed of growth of these trees and the water they consume in the process this has resulted in a dramatic effect on the water level in the rivers and the water table in general.

So the government has introduced a campaign whereby people are employed to actively seek out the invasive species and destroy them. This often involves people being helicopted in to remote mountainous places to remove the invasive trees.

Black wattle was another culprit brought to the country to be able to strip the bark which was used in the tanning of hides.

This is quiet an eco issue just the same type of damage as the asian long horn beetle has caused here in Ontario.

So I guess when I came to NA and come across all the Oak, Maple and other exotic local hardwoods, to me Eucaplyptus seems to me to be a weed.:rofl::rofl:

I do think your turning of this mortar and pestle looks great though. But I have seen the other work you do and I think those are fantastic.:D How else can a rank amateur apply pressure to pros like you.:rofl::rofl:

No worries, Rob. No insult perceived. :)

Here in Los Angeles, I think the only native tree is the oak, and those are pretty rare and protected I believe. Seems that everything else around here is one type of invasive species after another. :p

I remember when I was living in New Mexico, a jade plant was considered a fairly exotic houseplant...cute little things in a pot. Here in SoCal, jade plants are veritable shrubs, and we've got them taking over a few places in our planting beds at our house like weeds. Even after living here nearly 18 years, I still can't get used to seeing plants like coleus and asparagus fern (plants I raised as indoor houseplants in New Mexico) growing -- and thriving -- in outdoor gardens. ;)

to me Eucaplyptus seems to me to be a weed.:rofl::rofl:

Here in Spain the situation is a bit different, but equally bad, eucaliptus were planted to produce paper pulp, however too late they realised that that tree "poisons" the soil and where eucaliptus have been nothing else can grow for years afterwards.