Veneer/laminate router related question

So my mom has a dining room table that has room for 2 leaves but it only came with one. She wants me to make an extra leaf for it and she wants it done in time for Easter Sunday :eek: Actually she said it's ok if I just get it cut to size and she'll use a table cloth so I don't have to complete yet. BUT, my dilemma... I used contact cement to glue 2 pieces of 1/2" MDF together to make a 1" thick top (like the existing) and then I will put the veneer over that. Can I use my 1 3/4hp router with a flush trim bit to cut the veneer the exact size? I know of those smaller palm-sized laminate routers like the Bosch Colt... would a full sized router like mine not have enough finesse and just tear up the edge? :dunno: Sorry if the answer is obvious here, I haven't done much with veneers :dunno:

Westley, the router you have will certainly work, but, you understand it will be a bit awkward and might be a challenge to control, being rather on the large size.

Some tips that should make it easier, one, keep one handle over the work piece all the time, and push down and pull back on it, that way you have one half of the router over the work piece with a good grip on it, it should not tip as easily.
Do you have any off cuts? if you do, then put some next to the piece you are working on, to support the other half of the router that is hanging off in the air.

You can certainly do the job with the larger router, you just have to plan ahead and be careful to not let the large router get away from you.

Cheers!

Westley,
Presuming the leaf to be basically just a rectangle, your big router ought to work just fine.

The little guys are handy, and the reason they're used for laminate is that their small bases allow the craftsman to get closet to walls, etc than with a full sized router. Other than that, they're just like any other router - only smaller.

I have two of the little guys - neithr of which has ever touched laminate. I keep a ¼" roundover bit in one and a small 45° chamfer bit in the other. Just 'grab-n-go' for edge treatment...:)

So basically it boils down to some simple control methods I see. Very cool, thanks for the response both of ya :thumb: Yeah I heard from a couple of people that these laminate routers are getting used more and more to make lighter cuts on the stuff you mentioned, Jim. Sounds like a handy little router to have layin around.

This (or a shop made version) will make this task a piece of cake:

http://www.woodcraft.com/product.aspx?ProductID=146771&FamilyID=5539

146771_230.jpg