11. Fresh-cut oak.
12. Ammonia.
13. A baby.
14. Gardenias.
15. Roses.
16. Carnations.
17. Hubby just out of the shower.
18. Popcorn.

And that's just off the top of my head. I'm sure I'll realize more.

but always made me hungry.:( Probably a good thing, 'cause it made it easier to eat the balogna and pickles on white bread sandwiches we were fed on the midnight shift. :D

MIDRATS! I'd forgotten all about those mystery foods they served us late night on board the ship!:doh: I don't remember the pickles but I do remember the pasty white bread. They also use miracle whip instead of mayonnaise! I couldn't understand those guy that said "gee, taste like mayonnaise to me" aarrrgg!!:D

Ran into another one today! I was near downtown Lancaster in an area with lots of old tobacco warehouses. The smell - drying tobacco leaves. Can't stand the smoke from burning tobacco, but the today the cool air is sweet with the smell of drying leaves. I lived downtown years ago and that was the one city smell I appreciated.:D

Wes

Tulipwood and kingwood on the lathe, fresh squeezed apple juice, cantaloupe, peaches, tea brewing, hot chocolate, roses, honeysuckle blossoms, gardenia blossoms, cinnamon toast, new car smell....

Well, I think no one mentioned this and I guess I must be the only one who lives near the ocean but I love the smell of the ocean.

I grew up in a tobacco town and the smell of tobacco was wonderful in the morning. Not the smell of it being smoked but the smell of it being processed.

Fatback is related to bacon and most of you folks probably have never smelled fatback cooking but let me tell you it will loosen up the salivary glands. Fatback is one of the seven deadly sins and should not be consumed by anyone who wants to avoid atherosclerosis....

Closely related is the smell of a pig cooking over hickory wood coals at a pig pickin'. Have mercy and pass the corn bread!:thumb:

And perhaps the greatest smell on Earth to me is the smell of real country cured ham sizzling in a cast iron skillet over a campfire. Heavens to mergatroyds, just the thought of it makes my mouth water. Scramble the eggs and pass me a biscuit!:D

Mike, I agree with you about the fatback especially when you season a pot of soup beans with it. I also like the smell of bacon frying in the morning. It always reminds me of my grandma's house when I was a kid. I also like the smell of corn bread right out of the oven. Apple butter too. The orange smell on your hands after you've peeled one. The smell of fresh cut grass on an
August morning with the dew still on it. Reminds me of football season.

I was talking to my aunt about this smell thread yesterday. She lost her ability to smell several years ago. She can remember how most things smelled, roses, chocolate, coffee, her momma's fried chicken for example. She also said that since she lost her sense of smell that her taste has gone also. She said like Jason Beam said above that she can taste sweet, salty, sour and such. She said that she remembers the tastes of things before her smell went and they don't taste the same now. She said the thing she misses the most was the memories that certain smells bring back.

Last edited:
Fresh plowed ground.

The smell of the greenhouse, right about now as plants are growing.

Wifes spaghetti sauce bread baking.

Fresh mowed hay.

Field corn being run through the dryer at the elevator.

Bacon frying.

Cookouts over real wood fires.

Fresh brewed coffee

The woods after a spring rain

-- the combo of my wife's "eau de toilette" and her from-scratch, takes-two-days spaghetti sauce (as her grandmother rather candidly put it, my wife is a third generation off the boat dago)

-- sawdust/curlies from aromatic species

--blooming sweet olive

--old, smokey Scotch

--puppy breath

--Carmex / Vicks Vapo-Rub / Campho-Phenique