seat cushion foam

allen levine

can someone recommend a site that sells quality seat cusion foam by the yard, or whatever measurement they use, Im looking for a firm 3-4 inch foam that can be cut easy enough down to size.

I can find 20 sites on the internet, Id like to know if anyone here has dealt with a site and is satisfied with the product.

Try the local fabric shops. In our area Joanne Fabrics sells upholstery supplies including foam. I found the BS with a 10tpi blade or so works great for cutting the foam to size. Just be for-warned, the swarf sticks to everything!

Mike

When you do get it, cut it with your electric carving knife. Best tool for the job.

I second the Electric Carving knife, (it's all I have used since they first came out). The Mfrs use the same type knives but were designed for the factories. Don't force it, just let it do the work and the lines will be real smooth, but if you force it so the foam starts to bunch up, the cut will be jagged. (I used to do upholstery as a side job). I think 3" would be the best thickness, as I believe 4" would look Too bulky.

Last edited:
for six cushions, and I want to cut my own plywood since I dont just want a square bottom, its not an inexpensive deal.
It will run me over 100 for the material and over a 100 for foam and suppllies, and then I have to get my hands on a clean sheet of 1/2 ply.
with shipping, Im going to first check around locally cause I think I can supply the base and have someone cover it for me for around 40 a seat cushion, with a faux leather cover.

Last edited:
my problem with the local guys, is that the two I contacted, yeahed me to death, but neither spoke english. One was central american, and one was either yugoslavian, or croation, and our language barrier seemed to just get me yeah, yeah, yeah, I can do, no problem, I can do.
Can you give me an idea of the price sir? No problem, I can do.
do I have to bring in a template of the seat base, or bring you a diagram, picture with measurments of what I want? Yes, yeah, no problem, I can do.
what time are you open till today, what about tomorrow, or monday>? Yeah, yes, I can do, you come, no problem.

what day should I come in? yes, yeah, no problem, you come here, I can do.

it was a totally amazing experience, 2 guys, from opposite parts of the world, yet they both said the exact same words to me with each exact question.

I told my wife those old tan cushions are looking better every minute, so now I have to schlep over to joannes tonight, in the pouring rain, after working all day, to joannes, since there is a shop in westbury, and its around 30 minutes from me.

when my wife asked so were going tonight? I answered,. yes. yes, no problem,(in a deep voice rolling my tongue over) I can do, she said Im an idiot andhung up the phone.

I want to build furniture, not do upholstery.

chuck, I took down foams prices, they seem to be best around but noone was around today to speak too, so if I cant match the prices at joannes, Ill wait till next week and give them a holla.

Last edited:
Allen, you got me rolling on the floor over here. I hope you'll be able to get your project done. They might also have foam at a craft section at Wal-Mart.

If that foam is too squishy (though I think it is what you want) or in the future you want a stiffer foam, look in camping section for sleeping bag ground mat - it is similar to foam rubber pipe insulator.

Best of luck!

Joanns 40% off fabric sale made them the sale.
We got the fabric we wanted at a decent price, Im sure the original prices are high, but seemed pretty good with the sale.
The foam size we needed came out to 30 dollars more than the internet site chuck recommended.
Putting shipping in, we figured its a 10 dollar bill, the foam looked identical, same color, great feeling firmness, so we made the choice.
If I was buying a bit more, or I had to make a big drive to find a store,(I had no idea there was a joannes close to my home, nor have I ever heard of them before this thread) I would have had to go with the site, since IM sure the shipping wouldnt change much, and then the savings would have been enough to warrant it.
One piece, close enough.
Were set, time to get back to work tomorrow.

Last edited:
my problem with the local guys, is that the two I contacted, yeahed me to death, but neither spoke english. One was central american, and one was either yugoslavian, or croation, and our language barrier seemed to just get me yeah, yeah, yeah, I can do, no problem, I can do.
Can you give me an idea of the price sir? No problem, I can do.
do I have to bring in a template of the seat base, or bring you a diagram, picture with measurments of what I want? Yes, yeah, no problem, I can do.
what time are you open till today, what about tomorrow, or monday>? Yeah, yes, I can do, you come, no problem.

what day should I come in? yes, yeah, no problem, you come here, I can do.

it was a totally amazing experience, 2 guys, from opposite parts of the world, yet they both said the exact same words to me with each exact question.

I told my wife those old tan cushions are looking better every minute, so now I have to schlep over to joannes tonight, in the pouring rain, after working all day, to joannes, since there is a shop in westbury, and its around 30 minutes from me.

when my wife asked so were going tonight? I answered,. yes. yes, no problem,(in a deep voice rolling my tongue over) I can do, she said Im an idiot andhung up the phone.

I want to build furniture, not do upholstery.

chuck, I took down foams prices, they seem to be best around but noone was around today to speak too, so if I cant match the prices at joannes, Ill wait till next week and give them a holla.
The guy I use is Mexican, and works out of his garage. I get the same thing from him... but when he says, "Yes, yes" he means it. Very good, and very reasonable.