band saw in the dumper

Frank Fusco

Well, not in the dumper but almost.
Met with a good friend yesterday who gave me a load of walnut. His eyesight has gone bad and he can't work with tools anymore.
Enneyhow, during our conversation he told me about a bandsaw he was once given. It was a 48" capacity monster, weight, literally, a ton or more.
My friend was in the ship salvage business in California at the time, he put a chain on the bandsaw and started using it as an anchor.
Oh, well. What else would you do with something like that? :(

I used to have an old 36" probably similiar.
Never got it running. My then shop/garage had a low ceiling, and that thing wouldn't stand up in there:(
I ended up selling it. An old Star if I remember

Pulled this one off of a Canadian Wood forum... This one was pretty much in the dumper when the guy started restoring it, sitting out rusting in the rain.

How many of us would knock a hole in the floor to fit a tool?

Attachments

• beast2.jpg
    beast2.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 57
Pulled this one off of a Canadian Wood forum... This one was pretty much in the dumper when the guy started restoring it, sitting out rusting in the rain.

Me too.

Several years ago when the gunstock factories in Warsaw, combined into one, [new owner] they had an equipment sale.
They had 6 of those biggies that the lower wheel needed a hole in the floor to clear the lower wheel.
At the time I had no moola to even think about getting one. :( They were going for around $500.00 each. These were up and running machines

I think would just have to build up a platform around it. Of course my basement is poured on rock. The thoughts of having to jack hammer out a pit aren't fun. Then I probably need a sump pump to keep it dry..... Have to draw the line somewhere. :rolleyes:

I know of a guy that cut a hole in the roof :eek: , had a crane drop it in and then built a skylight over it :dunno: ....but as they say...thats woodworking
Reg

I think would just have to build up a platform around it. Of course my basement is poured on rock. The thoughts of having to jack hammer out a pit aren't fun. Then I probably need a sump pump to keep it dry..... Have to draw the line somewhere. :rolleyes:
It's easy...just jack the house up a foot or two. :p

I know of a guy that cut a hole in the roof :eek: , had a crane drop it in and then built a skylight over it

Sounds like my neighbour... in order to get a pool table into their basement, they peeled back the carpet, cut a hole in the floor, and dropped the slate between the joists, and then patched it all back up. It couldn't go down the stairs for some reason.

My Grandfather had a huge 48 inch bandsaw that weighed about a ton quite a few years ago. He had it stored in our house growing up, and since it did not have a bandsaw on it, we used to stand on the table and pretend we were driving a big ship, but then I digress to child memories...

In any case he ended up selling it. The thing was he was a woodworker and thus knew its value, but he could just not find anyone willing to pay what it was worth, and move it out of the garage and to whereever it was going. I know he darn near had tears in his eyes when some guy bought it for a fraction of what it was worth.

If only I had that beast now. Man that would make my 19 inch bandsaw look small!!