Wood Gloat

Ted Calver

Staff member
An arborist friend dropped this cherry off the other day. Being a desk jockey all your life does not prepare you to be a wood wrestler. I'd love to slab the biggest one to get a live edge table top, but unfortunately don't have the equipment. Gonna be a lot of good turning here. I'll try to do some natural edges and hope the bark will stay on...as soon as my back recovers. Drinking green tea instead of beer isn't all it's cracked up to be either. :)

Attachments

• 347-1.jpg
    347-1.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 40
  • 368-1.jpg
    368-1.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 42
  • 354-1.jpg
    354-1.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 41
  • 361-1.jpg
    361-1.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 40
  • 358-1.jpg
    358-1.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 49
Ted,
That some haul of cherry... I got a few pieces from a friend whose neighbor had a tree come down... unfortunately, the ants had been working on the tree and I don't have near the wood you got.... great deal and lots of luck.

I can sympathize on the desk jockey aspect of life... I spent nearly 40 years riding a desk and now when I start working some of my wood, I can last about 3 hours on the chainsaw, then need a day to recover. Gets me in the small of the back... might not be so bad if I could raise the log to about waist high, but not probably not all that smart.

Ted, is there any guys around your area that have portable sawmills? It would be a shame not to slab some of that out for flat projects. I see you have the "Hawaiian State Tool" on the pile!:D The big pry bar... O'o bar as they are called. You don't dig any holes here with out one. Gotta move the lava rock somehow!:eek::rofl::rofl:

There is a lot of bf in that pile, great gloat

Thanks guys.

Chuck,
The ants have been at this one too, but there are still several large logs that are solid. Even the anty ones will give some nice blanks because the ants stick to the pith.

Royall,
I can't move anything without my O'o either, and that nursery cart has a 1000lb capacity for moving blanks around. That was the best $200 I ever spent...a real back saver, and much much cheaper than that nice little Kubota tractor I'd really like to have.

Last edited:
another vote for slabbing some of that if you got guy close,, some of those are good canidates for flat stuff... but the truning part is nice to that crotch will be something of interste.