Is Frank Townend doing Flatwork? Turning Tool Cabinet

Frank Townend

I've never been in this area of Family Woodworking so please be kind.

Tired of tripping over my woodturning accessories, I decided to do something about them. Of course I have lots of respect for those of you who can buy flat sheets of lumber and make something out of them, so I said "hey I know these guys, if they can do it, so can I".

Because of my lack of experience I decided to start with a framework and build from there. I went to my local Habitat for Humanity Resale Store and, for $25, bought a wooden two-drawer legal-size file cabinet. In good shape, it has full pull out Blum drawer hardware, and nice deep drawers.

So off to the BORG, home with some cabinet-grade plywood, skin three sides, build a torsion-box frame for the casters, attach the lamp, power strip, grinder and WorkSharp, hooks for all the chuck jaws, and "shelves" for the chucks, drive, and live centers.

3434658871_d1a2fe30b2_b.jpg

Front of the cabinet. Top is carpeted.

3435464228_cf30dc6f2d_b.jpg

Right side with hooks for chuck jaws.

3435464370_694046f886_b.jpg

Back with fishing pole holder for the Wolverine Gouge & Skew & Vari-Grind Accessories.

3435464480_78e3e827ca_b.jpg

Left side with power strip, lamp, and trusty carpet tape.

3434658565_bfd6a54e2e.jpg

Top drawer "shelf" for chucks and accessories.

3435464524_b60bbb89c0_m.jpg

Nova chuck removed to show peg to hold chuck.

3434658737_78db077a38.jpg

Bottom drawer with "shelf" to hold drive & live centers and Morse Taper tools.

So, there it is, my first attempt at "flat work" and I have to say I like having everything where I can find it and mostly out of the dust. As you can see I have lots of free space left in the drawers, so I'll add slots for sandpaper, etc.

In the future I'd like to build a turning tool rack and be able to store it on the back side of the cabinet. Stay tuned.

Last edited:
yu dun good!!

you made use of someones left overs and turned it into a very usable cabinet.. you are offically inducted into the flat work group now:) nice mural on the wall too:thumb:

Nicely done, Frank. :thumb: We've got a similar wooden file cabinet here that I've been scheming about turning into a rolling sharpening station with my Woodcraft and Tormek grinders.

Not to shabby Frank,for a spinny kinda guy:D And what do you mean, "hey I know these guys, if they can do it, so can I":eek::huh: Just where are you going with this??:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Nice job. I to found a two drawer file cabinet but for 5 bucks at a swap. It dosen't have the nice hardware that yours has. I'll have to remember what you did with yours.:thumb:

Totally functional, nice and neat, organized, what more is needed? Being green by recycling old pieces is a good thing also:thumb: Sure looks loke the perfect sharpening station to me. Nice job frank :thumb:

Nicely done, Frank. :thumb: We've got a similar wooden file cabinet here that I've been scheming about turning into a rolling sharpening station with my Woodcraft and Tormek grinders.

Go for it Vaughn. The trademark fees for the fishing pole holder aren't too expensive.

blow some dirt or saw dust in there, its too clean looking.

Soon, my friend, soon enough!

Not to shabby Frank,for a spinny kinda guy:D And what do you mean, "hey I know these guys, if they can do it, so can I":eek::huh: Just where are you going with this??:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Nice job. I to found a two drawer file cabinet but for 5 bucks at a swap. It dosen't have the nice hardware that yours has. I'll have to remember what you did with yours.:thumb:

I though you would like the "if they can do it..." The file cabinet is a good size to work from Royall. Because I didn't have anywhere to attach the casters, I created a torsion box for the base and attached the casters, got the cabinet off the floor so it can roll around.

Totally functional, nice and neat, organized, what more is needed? Being green by recycling old pieces is a good thing also:thumb: Sure looks loke the perfect sharpening station to me. Nice job frank :thumb:

Thanks Tom I like the Habitat for Humanity stores, good prices and 100% of the money goes to helping folks own homes.

Frank, all you need to do now is add on a planer stand and a dovetail jig and you'll start looking like my shop!

I like that idea you have for holding your chuck jaws together. I'm still keeping mine in the plastic case (got a chuck and multiple jaw set all at once), but your setup looks sweet.

My grinding station add on to my planer stand used a similar holder for the Wolverine jig, so I'm afraid that any patent suit proceeds from Vaughn need to come my way. :rofl:

It does feel nice after organization happens, doesn't it?

Good job, oh ye fellow flatworker! :thumb:

Frank, all you need to do now is add on a planer stand and a dovetail jig and you'll start looking like my shop!

And an out table for the table saw too? :D

I like that idea you have for holding your chuck jaws together. I'm still keeping mine in the plastic case (got a chuck and multiple jaw set all at once), but your setup looks sweet.
Thanks. I wondered how best to keep each set together and this seems the way to go. I've seen others keep them in little compartments, etc., but all that space on the side of the cabinet and..

My grinding station add on to my planer stand used a similar holder for the Wolverine jig, so I'm afraid that any patent suit proceeds from Vaughn need to come my way. :rofl:
Far enough, Vaughn and I will be sending royalty payments.

It does feel nice after organization happens, doesn't it?

Good job, oh ye fellow flatworker! :thumb:
Yes it does and thank you Mark!

Well done indeed Frank!

Your method of keeping all the jaw sets together looks OK, but I'm working on a better method........ I'll just keep buying chucks until I don't have any spare jaws laying around :D :thumb:

Great idea and execution Frank. That is just what my shop ordered. I am becoming a convert to the mobile concept for everything. Think I will emulate much of what you have done here. This clutter problem has plagued me for far too long. Thanks for the great post.:thumb: