Qtrd Curly Cherry Bed (It's started)

Jim Niemi

Well I have started a new project. I make so many wood projects during the course of the day I think that I should make something for my LOML and myself.

What I am making is a Quartered Sawn Curly Cherry Bed with Raised Curly Soft Maple Panels.

I have just started this project and will update as I go. Here are some pic's of the wood I am using.:thumb:
Chess board 012 (600 x 450).jpg Chess board 017 (600 x 450).jpg Chess board 023 (600 x 450).jpg Chess board 024 (450 x 600).jpg cutting 063 (600 x 450).jpg
cutting 064 (600 x 450).jpg cutting 065 (600 x 450).jpg cutting 069 (600 x 450).jpg

Last edited:
I'm thinking along the sames lines as Chuck. Forget about Larry's wood stash, I'd be trying to steal yours.

Looking forward to watching the bed come together, Jim. :lurk:

hey guys,, back off i am in charge of security for thre stuff when they arent there,, and i also have some quality control rights in this...:) so rest assured that the good stuff gets into the right hands theres or mine:) i just need a second job to keep up with the addiction... its tuff looking at that kind of wood and having to say not today.... keep up the good work jim and keep posting the progress:thumb:

Hi Jim,

I will be following this thread with great interest as LOML has asked me to build her a full bedroom suite starting with a bed. She wants storage underneath so I've been looking at designs for platform beds. The ones I've seen so far have one of two fundamental problems, they're either far too advanced for my current skills or so incredibly simple as to be aesthetically unpleasing (think of a mattress in a box). I'm looking forward to seeing lots of pictures of your progress and learning a thing or thousand along the way. :)

:thumb:Well got the side rails cut and ready for glue..I am laminating a piece of qtrd cherry to a ash/cherry board for thickness and ash for strength. the tops, sub tops, and some rails are cut. I have to laminate alot of the lumber due to the lumber is 4/4 and I have lots of plainsawn to put on the back of the head board and qtrd on the back of the foot board. legs are next and stiles and panals.

after all is cut I will S2S all the face laminates on the moulder:D then Glue them in the freq press.
then off to the moulder again to S4S them.:thumb:
Will have pics of the moulder wile running them:thumb:

take your time young man, don't let that ol' greybeard push you around:rofl::rofl:

now that i think of it, what's become of that walnut bed, or what ever it was you were working on larry? haven't seen any pics in a dog's age... :rofl::rofl:

take your time young man, don't let that ol' greybeard push you around:rofl::rofl:

now that i think of it, what's become of that walnut bed, or what ever it was you were working on larry? haven't seen any pics in a dog's age... :rofl::rofl:

watcyu takun bout??? i have been travlun and vistun the family and had to get caught back up then igot asked to go another trip fer 3 days so i aint been in the shop much:) and it was balsa wood

What the heck, the boy's in no hurry :rolleyes: he's only getting married in less than 3 months :p I'm guessing he will just have to have his new bride sleep on the floor :rofl::rofl::rofl: Hey I guess we can have Dee (his bride to be) read this and maybe that will get him in gear, what ya say Larry, shall we enlighted her :eek::rofl::rofl::rofl: