WANTED wood turning lathe --- So. Calif.

Hi,

I think I am going to step off of the cliff into the abyss.
I intend to purchase a lathe. I have been looking at new in all the usual places. Glenn, my son, suggested that I try the FWW classifieds for used.

Since I am new to turning, this is the way I am looking at it.
I would try a mini if the deal was really fantastic.
I would prefer mid-size.
I would be thrilled with a 12 / 36.

I have looked at the Woodtek at $1,400. However that dollar amount scares me since I don't know what in the heck I am doing. Also, I will have to spend quite a few $$$ for tools, chucks, face shield, etc. no matter what I buy. If you have something, give me a call (760-529-2392), email <jandmbradley@cox.net> or 1561 Havenwood Dr. Oceanside, CA 92056

Enjoy,

Jim

Last edited:
Jim, I stared on a lathe almost exactly like the $109.00 model in Chuck's first link. It's workable for pens and bottle stoppers, but real limited power for bowls. The Jet mini is definitely a better lathe, but it's also nearly five times the price.

I'll keep my eyes open for any decent used ones around here.

Jim - I'm starting with the Delta mini. It has about 5 speeds via pulley. Hindsight clearly indicates that variable speed would have been worth saving up for. I'm starting out with a Harbor Freight HSS toolset and three Thompson gouges - 1/2" bowl gouges, one each V and U profile and a 3/8" detail gouge, cause I hated the HF 1/4" spindle gouge. Toss in a facemask with those tools and you're at about $200. Using the HF tools to make handles for the Thompson tools is good practice too. A reasonable chuck that will last until you are self-sufficient enough to be spendy will be around $200 as well.

Speaking of handles, I know you're not as big as some of the rest of us Hutts here, but you still want to make long handles, especially for the bowl gouges. About 24"-30" is what I'm aiming for. Once you've been using the tools if you want to you can always chop down a handle, but unless you have one of Vaughn's patented wood-stretchers, it's hard to grow 'em out once they're short! :rofl:

If you end up not liking it, just give it to Larry next years when he heads West! :rofl:

Best of luck - I'm sure others will chime in soon!

I have an older Delta 46-140 (if I remember right). It needs a belt and is on a newer stand/table. Let me know if you are interested. I can even deliver it for you if you need a truck.

Cheers.

Dan does it look like this?

Yep, just like that. Thinking about it I don't remember if it is a Delta or Rockwell label on it.

It is clean and I have it in a shed in the backyard. I am taking it out tomorrow to snap some pics for Jim.

I told Jim how I paid $200 for it and that's all I want back. It is complete, no breaks or repairs, original motor and good bearings. It is on a newer/heavier stand and top. One or two faceplates, spur center, fixed tail center and 6" tool rest. I will get a belt for it.

Do you guys think that's a fair price?

I think that's a fair price for both parties involved. :thumb:

Jim, this Rockwell/Delta is WAY better than anything you'll find new for $200, and in some ways better than a $500 mini lathe. Plus, if you decide down the road that turning's not for you, you should be able to get your investment back selling it to the next guy.

I like a lot of Grizzly tools, but I don't think I'd want that lathe. For me, the main issue is that the tool post is on the wrong side of the banjo. it should be on the headstock side, not the tailstock side. As it is, it has the potential to prevent the user from getting the tool rest close to bigger-diameter pieces. To me, it shows the lathe was designed by engineers, not turners. I suspect the "design" is a close copy of other mini lathes, with minor tweaks (like changing the banjo) to avoid having to deal with patent issues.

If you have something, give me a call ...

I'll go off topic here with my suggestion... Jim, I don't recommend putting your phone number and address out there for the world to see and Google to find. If anyone here really needs to contact you we can use the PM system and keep our phone numbers + addresses to private email correspondence.

OK - it's out of the shed and has a new belt.

It is a Rockwell 46-140 11" Wood Lathe (made in Canada) with a Delta ½ HP motor (made in USA). 36" max length with a 15" by 4" knockout for bowls. 4 speeds: 800, 1350, 2200 and 3700.

One 3" faceplate, 10" tool rest, spur center, dead tail center and the original wrench.

Here's a quick pic of it.

Please ignore the god awful mess behind it, the shop is in "transition". :D

Attachments

• lathe2.JPG
    lathe2.JPG
    117.2 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
The Rockwell 46-140 lathe has gone to its new home in Oceanside, CA.

If anyone else gets to meet Jim Bradley you will find him to be a true gentleman. It was a pleasure meeting you Jim.

Cheers.

Sorry Dan............... no pics...............didn't happen............ :D

Seriously, nice to see you two could hook up and do some business :thumb:

Jim, best of luck with the vortex :wave:

Hi,

Careful Dan you just fixed it so all of my hats are too small.

The lathe is in excellent condition. Dan was right about that.

I am taking a woodturning class at Camp Pendleton. They have a very nice woodworking shop for the service men, retirees, family, etc. I am glad that they are encouraging people to get interested in woodworking.

Palomar College has wood turning class. However, it does not start until July. That's too long to wait when you have a new toy.

Thanks to all of you who responded to my classified ad.

Enjoy,

Jim