Outboard Question - Jet 2hp 16" Lathe

Dan Mosley

I know we have discussed this in the past but i would like to seek some adivce here on what to buy for a outboard setup for my 16" Jet lathe.
I do not have the tap tools etc to make one and i dont think i want to drill into the lathe stand to attach a homemade type. Although i have seen some on here that look great.
1). I was wondering if anyone owns the outboard that jet sells and what you think of it ? I know its the kind that attaches and from what i have read it is a bit less stable then the kind that anchors down to the floor.
2). Anybody know where i can buy one on the web ?
3). Anybody know how large of diameter i would gain ?

Thanks Dan

Last edited:
I have been considering the outboard tool rest made by Vicmarc. I saw one installed on a Jet 1642 on the AAW website a while back and it looked pretty good. It does need to be attached to the lathe legs but looked very sturdy and well made. I believe it was purchased from Craft Supplies in Utah. Not in the catalog, but if you call them they may be able to help you. I don't really know how big you can go with a setup like this. I would not use anything freestanding myself.

Don I agree i do not want anything free standing but just interested in seeing what others are using and the comments about the Jet stand that attaches to the lathe without drill and tapping (which i dont have the tools or knowledge to do)......Thanks Dan

Jet Stand ?

Dan, Can you shed some light on the stand you are talking about ? I am not familiar with one made by Jet but would be interested to see what it is. I will try to google it in the meantime.

Thanks,

Jet outboard rest

Dan... The outboard tool rest for the Jet is quite nice. Like you said it does not attach to the lathe itself, kinda hesitant myself. I was in the local woodcraft and see one sitting in front of the lathe I bought (1442), quite tempting. It is all cast iron, much like the legs. It is really sturdy and at roughly $350, they seem to be pretty proud of them :)
its a long time from xmas from Mrs. Clause

Not Sure About It

Dan & Chris,

I finally found some information on this outboard turning stand. The design SEEMS sturdy but I think I would be hesitant with anything freestanding and not attached to the lathe. This one (#708349 OTS-42) is the same as the one for Powermatic. The reason I would probably not use a freestanding rest is that the reason you would be using this device is you are turning LARGE pieces of wood. The mass and energy of a large piece of wood could easily overcome a freestanding rest if something went wrong, like a bad catch, wood failure, etc. I understand the RPM's would most likely be low, but bad things can and do happen, even at low RPM.

There is a similar thread on the AAW site right now and the poster was looking for the Vicmarc outboard rest but found out Craft Supplies USA does not carry it anymore. They are looking for another USA supplier. Attaching it to your lathe is not hard at all. Drilling and tapping cast iron is not difficult. I'll bet you have a friend or 2 that would be happy to help.

I have also seen a couple of home-made versions that looked pretty good and have been thinking of making my own if I can find the time. I case you have not figured it out, I have the Jet 1642 lathe also. Love it !

Dan... The outboard tool rest for the Jet is quite nice. Like you said it does not attach to the lathe itself, kinda hesitant myself. I was in the local woodcraft and see one sitting in front of the lathe I bought (1442), quite tempting. It is all cast iron, much like the legs. It is really sturdy and at roughly $350, they seem to be pretty proud of them :)
its a long time from xmas from Mrs. Clause

Chris,
I have the 1442, but haven't seen the free standing tool rest... guess I have an excuse to back to Woodcraft :thumb: ... I've been thinking about trying to build one for my lathe... so far I've only tried to turn outboard one time and it wasn't all that successful but as soon as I got the blank round, I found it would go back over the ways, which made it easier.

I need to google the rest and see if it's anything like the idea floating in the water on my brain.. :rofl: