BIG BIG Dog

Lookin at Tod's avatar reminder me of a recent dog “situation”. My daughter and her little pug pup (see my avatar) were visiting over Christmas. As I was setting at the kitchen table doing what I do best (eating) I heard what sounded like thunder. Turned out to be a big mastiff jumping around on my back deck. It had gotten loose from the neighbors, spotted the pug, and was trying to come through my sliding glass door. He was pushing on the glass so hard that it was budging in. All I could think was…He’s breakin glass and coming in to eating our little pug. (pug had gone into hiding…he’s young but smart)

As I opened the sliding door slightly to politely “ask” him to leave…. he got his big head inside and was forcing his way in. It turned into a fight and I think I was loosing. I literally had to grab him, wrap him up and push him out like he was a blocking sled. (Football finally came in handy…wonder when calculus will start paying off)

When I finally got him out on the porch it occurred to me that he could eat me…but it turns out he was ONLY 11 month old and was very VERY playful. The neighbors heard the commotion and sent their daughter (12 years old) over to rescue me. She mounted “Hammer” like he was a horse and rode him home. I was feeling downright manly from my “battle with the beast” until being rescued by a little girl.

I guessing he was about full grown length wise but will probably fill out a little more as he gets older but MAN…. Those dogs are massive and strong as……heck. Great animal with a good disposition.

I can just picture that! We had some neighbors that had a Mastiff. Brought him up to meet ours when he was about 6 weeks old and mine thought what a cute little dog. It seemed to confuse mine that he kept getting bigger and bigger! My understanding is that they are known as the gentle giants, but if they throw their weight into you they are a challange!

john, i just laughed my rear off!.......these guys are known as the gentle giants....my 2y/o plays with mine;)

John,

I was waiting for tod to comment...

All I thought about as I read your post was encountering tod's THREE MASTIFFS coming at you full steam! :eek: :eek:

- Marty -

I could just imagine someone trying to fend off a dog like that only to have a little kid have there way with a dog.:eek:
Tod, How much due they tip the scales at? Im geussing around the 200 mark. My huske thinks hes a lap dog and is right around 100#:eek: . Thanks for the good luagh.

A couple months ago, I had occasion to put both the Saints through the doggie door when they really didn't want to go... and one of them was sickly. It was all I could do, and I'm not a slight lad. :rolleyes:

You can teach 'em who's boss when they're puppies, but if they choose to forget that once they get to weighing a couple hundred pounds, it can be a pretty good struggle. :eek:

KC

On the other end of this, is last year when I was walking my two and a half year old son at the lake front near where we live and some "as%^(#e" was way off in the distance shouting something at me while his rotweiler was charging towards us.

The dog stopped only 6 feet away from us just to turn around and run back to his master who was still too far away to even recognize the happy go lucky smile on his face. I proceeded to put away my leatherman knife back into its belt hold and try to get my heart and nerves calmed down.

It's not the dogs that bother me, it's the simpleton owners who think we're all telepathic in knowing their dogs are the sweetest little things on the planet.

Infuriating enough is the fact that in Ajax where I live, there are two designated run free for dogs park. This guy obviously feels it does not apply to him or he can't read.

Sorry for the rant on this, I read this post, and I guess it really upsetted me at the time, and to this day, 'cause my son is worth more than any dog out there as far as I'm concerned. I actually like dogs, but those who are not well heeled and their owners who have no sense about them, should be slapped silly and deported to nitwit island.

Venting a bit here...cause it scared the feces out of me at the time

Kevin

Last edited:
al, they run close to 200#.......
kevin, i don`t think it`s wise for folks who own large dogs to live in the city, it causes problems for both the dogs and owners.....suburbia is somewhat better but as a rule big critters need big spaces.

Grocercy bill?

al, they run close to 200#.......
kevin, i don`t think it`s wise for folks who own large dogs to live in the city, it causes problems for both the dogs and owners.....suburbia is somewhat better but as a rule big critters need big spaces.

whats them set u back fer feed bill tod? i bet they eat a bunch to maintain there girlish figure:) or are the critters in your area on there menu? kinda like turnin a cow out to pasture:D :D

I generally like most dogs & cats as well as other animals.

When I was a kid we raised registered Shorthorn beef. We had several dogs that would get together & chase our stock. One of our calves was worth at that time $700 at birth. Dad called the sheriff & asked what he could do. The sheriff said shoot them dead & don't let them get off the property bury them.

When I was a kid we raised registered Shorthorn beef. We had several dogs that would get together & chase our stock. One of our calves was worth at that time $700 at birth. Dad called the sheriff & asked what he could do. The sheriff said shoot them dead & don't let them get off the property bury them.

bart, my dogs are well trained...don`t set foot off my property and are valued slightly double what you say a calf was......if i catch somebody pullin` a bead on one the fight`ll be on! and i`m way meaner than my hounds;)

We're out in cow country, too... and most folks will be neighborly if your dog gets to bothering their stock... the first time. They expect you to fix the problem, and if you don't, they will.

KC

I had cattle and calves killed by dogs. Whenever I saw a dog chasing my cattle I would shoot it if I could. Not always easy. Animals running 200 yards away are difficult targets. But I killed a fair number. My cattle were registered purebred and fullblood Maine-Anjou, a lost animal was a big financial loss, plus the heartbreak.

bart, my dogs are well trained...don`t set foot off my property and are valued slightly double what you say a calf was......if i catch somebody pulling` a bead on one the fight`ll be on! and i`m way meaner than my hounds;)

Tod this was in the 60's. So guess how much the same calf would be worth now????

"my dogs are well trained...don`t set foot off my property "

Tod you wouldn't have anything to worry about my friend.:D

The problem is you can't always find the owner of the dog. Once the dog or dogs make a kill they are worthless & will do it again given the chance they will need to be put down. But the problem isn't always the dog outright killing the calves but running the cows & causing a miscarriage which can destroy the cow too. Talk about costs how about the cost of the cow & calf not to mention all the potential calves that will now not be born if the farmer has to destroy the cow because it has been injured. I've seen cows with broken legs because of being run by dogs as well as miscarriage. Dad usually tried to run the dog or dogs off & find the dogs owner. The second time around it was a dead dog. To start with it is the dog owner that is at fault for not controlling the dog. The cows were in their own fenced field & couldn't get away from the dogs. You would be fighting a lost battle both with my Dad & in court. By the way back then I saw him shoot 3 black birds one after the other with 3 consecutive shots from a 22 rifle as you know black birds don't necessarily fly in straight lines. I have never seen my Dad aim a rifle or hand gun it just swings up & fires & what ever he was intending to shoot was shot. Besides that unless someone saw the dog being shot how would anyone know where it went? We had this problem with someone that had a Shepard that was also a country boy when young & he absolutely agreed that he & his dog were the ones at fault. We never saw the dog again.

The dog owner is clearly the one at fault here.

I didn't want to get too graphic. But Bart's post reminded me of a time I lost a cow and calf to a dog. When I arrived at the pasture I saw the cow running wildly, a calf, in the process of being born, was hanging half-way out her back end. And a large dog had the calf's muzzle in it's jaws and was hanging on with the cow running. It was one of the most gruesome and heart wrenching sights I have ever seen. I managed to chase the dog away but couldn't get a shot at it that day. That chance came months later. The cow remained wild for several days. When I finally caught her the calf was, of course, dead and rotting inside. I had to put the cow down. I like dogs. But they must be civilized, like Tod's, and/or confined.

Frank & Bart,

I understand that most problems are with a dogs owner and you have a right to protect your property, but this was a cute story. I wish you hadn't taken it down this path. Kind of put a quick damper on the story.

Frank & Bart,

I understand that most problems are with a dogs owner and you have a right to protect your property, but this was a cute story. I wish you hadn't taken it down this path. Kind of put a quick damper on the story.

You are right. It was a cute story and I enjoyed. Sorry.
Animal incidents can bring out strong emotions and lasting memories. It triggered less than happy ones for some of us.
I have owned and loved dogs. Tod's are great animals that have a way of letting you know when they want to be petted.

A quick story just to bring the topic back to Mastiffs...

Way back when I had a job delivering furniture. Once I delivered this dining set to a older lady that lived by herself in the city. As soon as I rang the bell, I heard what I thought was the hound from hell coming at that front door. I heard the lady tell the dog to settle down from behind the door and as she opened it I saw the biggest dog I had ever seen. I told her who I was and she told the dog to be good and she let me in the house. I immediately showed the dog that I had no bad intention and asked if I could pet him. As soon as I started rubbing behind his ears, he was eating out of my hand. As I was setting up the furniture, the dog really wanted to play. The owner stated that she doesn't get out with dog as much as he would like, so after I was done setting up the furniture, I spent the next 20 mintues in her yard playing with the dog. He was just a big baby, loved rough housing and having his belly rubbed. If only my wife would let me have one....

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Promise me you will set up a cam corder for the next time that happens. You would walk away with the funniest home viedo!

I'm 5' 3" tall and slight. That dog would have pushed me out the "Front" door. :)

Don