A refurbed Stanley Type 19 No 4 1/2

Dominic Greco

I got this No 4 1/2 from Ebay some time last week with the plan of cleaning it up and offering it up for sale. When it arrived it was in sadder shape than I expected. The iron was from a No4 sized wood plane and was the tapered variety and the chip breaker was from a Sargent (which would not work with this yoke). The tote was from another (larger) handplane and the rear hardware was missing. With some help from a couple of my friends here I got (or am getting) the parts I needed.

Before:
No45type19_before1.jpg

No45type19_before3.jpg

No45type19_before2.jpg

I had a heavy old Hudson Tool Company iron that was sharpened to the point where it would almost split an atom. I stole a Chip Breaker and Lever Cap Screw from my beater No6, and the tote was one I had in the bone yard.

The entire plane was soaked in Evaporust then the sole was flattened, and the body cleaned up and polished.

After:
No45type19_after1.jpg

No45type19_after3.jpg

No45type19_after2.jpg

One I got the sole flattened the performance of this plane went through the roof!

Gratuitous Action Shots:
No45type19_after4.jpg

No45type19_after5.jpg

If you think this was a "rag to riches" story, then wait till you see the other plane that I got along with this 4 1/2! It is coated entirely in black glossy paint! (E-YUCK!!). That one will take a bit longer to clean up.
yellowbiggrin.gif

Thanks for viewing

This ones only "fostered", not adopted

Are you sure you built your recent tool cabinet big enough? :D Nice job on the plane. :thumb:

Vaughn,
This one's going up for sale as soon as the "standard issue" parts come in. I normally stay away from "fostering" planes. But this one needed some TLC and it just looked at me with those big ole' eyes, and <sniff sniff>,...sorry, got all emotional there for a minute.:rofl:

Seriously, I saw it and thought it had "good bones". So I snatched it up! No someone else can buy it and have a smoother that works AWESOME.

Nice work, Dom. 4½'s are my favorites.

I have a heavily tweaked type 17 that's my absolute favorite - LN blade, Clifton chip breaker, Mike-in-Katy cocobolo knob & tote, set screws in the the cheeks to stabilize the blade (easier to do on the heavy bodied 17's than the others) - and it really looks and works great.

Of course, any future collector value has been ruined, but hey, I got it to use, not to look at!

Whoever gets yours should really like it - pre tweaked and ready to go, you seldom find them like that.

Hi Jim

Nice work, Dom. 4½'s are my favorites.

I have a heavily tweaked type 17 that's my absolute favorite - LN blade, Clifton chip breaker, Mike-in-Katy cocobolo knob & tote, set screws in the the cheeks to stabilize the blade (easier to do on the heavy bodied 17's than the others) - and it really looks and works great.

Of course, any future collector value has been ruined, but hey, I got it to use, not to look at!

Whoever gets yours should really like it - pre tweaked and ready to go, you seldom find them like that.

Thanks Jim. Pre-tweaked is what I'm marketing. Someone can pick this plane up and immediately start using it.

Too much work!

It looks great, just out of curiosity, any reason you didnt take the handles off and clean them up any?

Thanks Mike. And to answer your question, I've done my share of stripping totes & knobs and refinishing them. But then they look out of place. Like mag wheels on a Granada. :D:rolleyes: Also, they have such a nice patina it seems a shame to mess it up. All I do now is buff them with Tripoli, white diamond and then give the a coat of Renaissance wax

I figured there must be a reason for it. I'll have to start keeping an eye out at garage sales for stuff like this.

...But then they look out of place. Like mag wheels on a Granada. :D:rolleyes: ...

What? You don't like my ride?

Big%20Rims%20600.jpg

:rofl:

(Actual photo of a car I saw in Albuquerque a few months ago, at a Wheel Rental shop. This place rents rims so you can make you car look extra special for a hot date.)

Back on-topic, how does a No. 4 1/2 compare size-wise to a No. 4 or No. 3?

...how does a No. 4 1/2 compare size-wise to a No. 4 or No. 3?

The 4½ has a 2 3/8" wide iron - same as a #6 or 7 - and it's maybe half an inch longer and half an inch wider than a #4. I've never weighed one, but it feels about a pound heavier than a #4, too.

I particularly like the type 17's. They're WWII production, and for some reason, have castings that are nearly twice as thick as earlier - or later - models. Gives a nice heft.

Another great job Dominic. You're getting to be a regular "Mr. Refurb"! :thumb: There's a Record 4-1/2 that's new to my arsenal, and so far I'm really liking the extra heft. Have fun!