doug frazier

a few have asked and i figured i would share with you some of the newbe's pics. this was i stair case we did in a spec home. the funest part of this job was free handing the handrail with a hand rail bit and a 3.5hp P.C. production router. i have to ask my work is not flat but it is not from a lathe do you think i will still fit in around here?:dunno:

stringers are 3/16" plywood lams and finish at 3". we put them all together in the shop and take them out in one pc. this stair case was done along time ago but is one of my fondest memories. not shure why.

Attachments

• pic2.jpg
    pic2.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 47
  • pic3.jpg
    pic3.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 46
  • pic4.jpg
    pic4.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 47
  • pic5.jpg
    pic5.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 43
  • pic6.jpg
    pic6.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 45
Yeah, I think I know someone who needs to ask for a straight edge from Santa this winter. :rolleyes:

That's great work, Doug. I can see why it's one of your favorites. I think throughout our lives, and regardless of our pursuits, we all have certain milestone accomplishments that stay at the front of our memories. This is one of yours, I'm guessing. ;)

"Yeah, I think I know someone who needs to ask for a straight edge from Santa this winter."

i think everyone need a strait edge so you can prop it under the door handle to let fresh air in the shop. square is just so over done. i find it limits the mind if all you see is ______________________________.

i have three jobs that stick in my memory that i compare all others to.

Those curved staircases always fascinated me but I've never built one. Two of my classmates and I did build a circular staircase out of metal for a welding project in High School. (Ours went in a fellows Barn though, 'cause he had bad feet and it was painful for him to climb a ladder).:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Not including the straight top rails, about how long did it take to build the curved staircase? It really looks nice.:thumb:

Cool! how did you make the curve in the stretchers?

if you are refering to the stringers (tread support) you build a radius wall with you studs close os you can just fit your clamps in the opening. then you lay out your tread locations and block what would be the bottom side. you glue up no more then you can handle at a time could be 2-3 lams could be 5-6 it depends on your open time on your glue and how many hands you have. you have to stagger you joints when you glue up so you have to do a full run. i think on this one it was close to 28' for the out side. then use every clamp you have, you cant have any voids or the stringer becomes weak at that point and will break. i have some pictures of a stair case at that point and will post them if you like i will need a day or so to find them.

thanks for the intrest i dont see very many people do curved stairs any more, there one of my favorite things to make.