Special Laminate bit for Router?

Dan Thibert

As I said in my previous thread, I am making a router table with a laminate top. It seems like some indicate I need a special laminate router bit, I have a large set of router bits with the standard straight bits. I woudl think that the standand bits woudl work just fine, your thoughts?

Thanks again

Laminate is generally trimmed at a slight angle to avoid the possibility of being snagged. I have done this with a sanding block and 400 grit paper. Route it flush with your existing bit and then bevel it with the sanding block at about 10* or so.

P.s. Man, Darren is fast.

The only dumb questions are the ones you never ask. If there is one thing I've noticed in my short time stalking this forum, people are more than willing to offer help and suggestions...some of them even seem like good ideas :rofl:

A laminate bit looks a like a reversed dovetail bit, usually 7, 15, or 25 degree angle on them. The angle usually helps prevent chipping on the edges from what I've heard.

Example: http://eagleamerica.com/product.asp...d=CI6K9LKm-ZkCFRBbagodswmmFA&bhcd2=1240018845

Darren is correct, AND if you use a sanding block to bevel that edge, "Be CAREFUL" as you are doing this, because the edge of the laminate on that 90* angle is "SHARP" and WILL slice your fingers, (which is another reason for beveling that edge as I found out MANY Years ago).:doh::D