Delta DJ-20 Jointer

Dan Gonzales

Hello All,

Just wanted to share my new jointer score.

I saw an ad on Craigslist for a Delta DJ-20 8" jointer for $300. I call the guy and he has to sell it because it won't fit into his trailer, he is moving to Minnesota. Supposedly only used for 2 hours max.

I decide on the spot I really need this jointer and shmooze him into holding it till the next day. Next I have to shmooze the wife :p

So up the next day to drive 175 miles to get the jointer and 175 miles back.

I have to get this into the back of my pickup by myself, so I partially dismantle it and lever it into the truck bed. Get it home and put it back together.

It does need some TLC. The beds and fence have light surface rust on them. I have to wire the switch in: he had the switch but never installed it, just plugged it into the outlet! The blades have a nick in them. It came with a base, but it is a lightweight HTC unit, bent and the wheels are squished.

Did I mention $300? :D

The drive up was through Los Angeles on interstate 5, over the mountains through the grapevine pass to Bakersfield and then up the Kern River to Lake Isabella. On the way back I had the windows down as I drove through an orange grove with blossoms in full bloom, what a gorgeous smell.

Here's some pics of the jointer.

jointer1.JPGjointer2.JPGjointer3.JPG

Here's some pics of the drive. The first four are the Kern River valley (a twisty 30 mile drive) and the last one is table grapes growing in the lower San Joaquin valley, the white stripe going up the mountains in the background is the California aqueduct pump lines going over the range and dropping the water into Los Angeles.

jointertrip4.JPGjointertrip5.JPGjointertrip6.JPGjointertrip7.JPGjointertrip8.JPG

Cheers.

Last edited:
I heard on the news that someone stole a DJ-20 north of here. I didn't realize it was you, Dan. :p

Very nice score...even worth driving through LA on the 5. :D

Dan that is a great deal. I really enjoyed the pictures of the Kern River Valley. Those pictures and Larry's Tour De-Wood is bringing on the urge to take a road trip. I could almost smell the orange blossoms in your description.

Dan that is a great deal. I really enjoyed the pictures of the Kern River Valley. Those pictures and Larry's Tour De-Wood is bringing on the urge to take a road trip. I could almost smell the orange blossoms in your description.

I was thinking the same thing....

Dan not sure which I'm more jealous of the jointer find or the beautiful drive you had...congrats!

Dan, its folks like you that help to keep our economy running. Turning a used lathe into greenbacks and then, without hesitation, keeping those greenbacks in motion; off to get the jointer. Great score!

Great deal on the Jointer, and an "Excellent Excuse" to make a beautiful drive.:thumb: Not getting to see the Beautiful Scenery across the USA during the different seasons is the ONLY thing I miss about the few later years when I couldn't fly anymore and had to do the "Trucking Thing" again.:( Beautiful Pics, (and I remember some of those scenes).:thumb:

It doesn't look like it will take very much work to get it cleaned and tweaked into shape and you will sure enjoy it.

You scored Sir! I paid $800 for mine and thought I got a deal:eek:. I've found Freud Blade sets on Amazon for $24 a set, just keep your eye out. But at that price, you can spring for a spiral cutter head, and still have a great deal!