Swap Goodies

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
The mailperson brought me a package Friday from Mark Brown, my benefactor in KaLea's March Swapapalooza. Inside the package I found two very nice pens...one birdseye maple and one gray speckled Corian. Here's a quick shot to show them off:

Mark Brown's Pens 800.jpg

The fit and finish on both pens are great. The maple's very pretty, and this is the first Corian pen I've seen in person, and I'm real impressed with how it polishes up. Great work on both pens, Mark. :thumb:

So...let's see some pics of the other Swap Goodies. :D

Good haul there Vaughn. After seeing Macks pens I can now more fully appreciate and understand the pen turner and why its infectious.:D

No matter how good the pictures when one holds and see these pens close up then you really get to appreciate them:thumb:

Thanks for posting them. I turn pens to relax and take my mind off other problems.
Mark

P.S. the tubes I shipped them in work great in bud vases.;)

Nice pens Vaughn/Mark.

You know for years I have said that since smoking is no longer vogue, instead of giving cigars as gifts for the birth of a child perhaps wooden pens would be a better idea. I mean if you think of it, what says the circle of life better than wood really. Kind of goes along with children. :dunno:

Beautiful Clock

I have always said "Time Flies, and it Flies in a Circle".

Yesterday I received a beautiful Clock made by Syd Lorandeau as my "swap goody". Syd explained, in his letter, he made a cutting board from Vaughn's tutorial and, with the left over pieces, created this beautiful clock.

What struck my wife and I is how much this beautiful clock reminded us of my mother, as she always collected quilts. She would have loved it.

So a very big "Thank You Syd!"

Enjoy:

3455763802_57182232e7.jpg

Well done Syd. Frank you got one lovely clock there. I find the longer you look at it the more you see. It looks 3 d at times and the maple surround really sets it off. Great project with a difference.:thumb:

Cant wait to see all the other pieces.

Thanks guys, I really like "Time Flies and it Flies in a CIRCLE" hopefully this will keep me in good graces with KaLea as I know I was really pushing the "roundish" rule.
Syd

That came out looking very nice, Syd. :clap: :thumb:

By the way, thanks much for the magazine you recently sent me. That's a very impressive Guild.

Thank You KaLea

I came home yesterday afternoon and found a package from NH on the doorstep....opened it up and fould this beautiful little vase/cup. The finsih is smooth as a baby's bottom! I'm thinking it is maple? :dunno:

Thanks again KaLea for starting all the swaps and sending your work my way!

Attachments

• 100_0302.JPG
    100_0302.JPG
    64.9 KB · Views: 38
  • 100_0303.JPG
    100_0303.JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 34
  • 100_0304.JPG
    100_0304.JPG
    59.6 KB · Views: 40
I came home yesterday afternoon and found a package from NH on the doorstep....opened it up and fould this beautiful little vase/cup. The finsih is smooth as a baby's bottom! I'm thinking it is maple? :dunno:

Thanks again KaLea for starting all the swaps and sending your work my way!

It is maple... it started as a piece that just barely fit into the mini lathe and I just started turning without too much of a plan. I ended up with three cups out of it. The other 2 aren't finished yet.
... and I like this side of that cup best
attachment.php

Attachments

• tn_misc 008.jpg
    tn_misc 008.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 153
More Swap Goodies

Well I don't know what I did to deserve this but I hit the motherlode in this "Round To It" swap. Frank Townend made and sent a beautiful ice cream scoop with an excellent birdseye maple handle. The fit & finish is outstanding! My wife loves it. THEN he goes and fills the rest of the box with WOOD! There are 2 pieces of Walnut, a piece of curly cherry, 2 stopper-size pieces of birdseye maple (offcuts from the scoop handle ?), and a beautiful piece of spalted burl that I can't positively identify. A little help Frank ? And to top it all off he includes and generous and thoughtful donation to my pet non-profit project, The Onrust.

Thanks does not even come close Frank. You are most kind and generous !

Attachments

• Round To It.jpg
    Round To It.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 59
Don, I think those blanks should be disqualified, since they're not round, and this was a 'round' swap. :rolleyes: I hate to see you take the heat for showing such a flagrant disregard for the rules, so you can just go ahead and send those non-conforming pieces of stock to me. :D You do that, and we'll let it slide. This time. :rofl:

Great work, and a very nice gesture to go with it, Frank. :thumb:

Youre the man Frank. Well done.:thumb:

By the way Don do you know the meaning of the name of the ship.

Given my background Onrust is dutch for "unrest" or you could say "fidget" or "agitated".

Thanks for mentioning it I did not know of the project. I enjoy seeing this kind of thing undertaken.:thumb:

Just for those that dont know about the project here is a link

http://www.theonrust.com/Welcome.html

Last edited:
the pens, the icecream scoop, the bowl, almost makes me want to go out an buy a mini nova. Im reorganining things, might make some room for one.....

nah........its best to limit my talentless efforts to one type of woodworking.
Id get addicted and make 68 pens a day.