Family Meeting and Wood Gloat!!

Jeff Bower

Rex Bloem pm'd me last week saying he was taking down a good size peach tree and a peach bush. We got the timing squared out this morning and I made the 1/2 drive south to his place. Can't believe we haven't met before as close as he is. Got a shop tour and boy am I envious of his! :eek: Lots of room and storage. He has a recent tool gloat too! I'll let him fill you in....

Spent about an hour with him and then loaded up the wood haul pictured below. Should have taken the camera with me to give you all some shots of his shop too...next time! Thanks again Rex and like I said, don't be suprised if there is a vase or bowl out of peach on your doorstep soon! :thumb:

BTW, my car still smells like peaches...made me want some pie or cobbler!

Attachments

• 100_0300.JPG
    100_0300.JPG
    84.4 KB · Views: 79
  • 100_0301.JPG
    100_0301.JPG
    68.5 KB · Views: 68
Nice gloat there jeff:thumb: and a natural and pleasing air freshener to boot. Makes me wish I would have collected some of the trees that were blown down when Ike came thru here last year. It would of mainly been oak and pine ,but they were nice size solid pieces.

It was great to meet you Jeff. Have fun turning. I will fill the family in on the tool gloat. I used tax return to buy a Steel City TS that was on closeout at The Woodsmith Store. I know no pics didn't happen,but would you guys doubt a moderator? Pics will come when this dum dum get the pics figured out. I need to print the instructions from Vaughn.

Nice haul Jeff good to see the woods not ending up in the dump. Now I looked at your website and boy that desk you have in your gallery. Have you ever posted a pic or a story on the making of the desk top. How about it? Great work.:thumb:

Nice haul Jeff good to see the woods not ending up in the dump. Now I looked at your website and boy that desk you have in your gallery. Have you ever posted a pic or a story on the making of the desk top. How about it? Great work.:thumb:

Rob, that desk was made by my grandpa. The same one that made my lathe. He was an incredible woodworker. I don't really have any story behind it, unless my dad can fill something in. It sits in my parents living room and is still used as well. The last pic is a office set he made while in the Philipines in WWII out of airplane aluminum and other scrounged parts.

Here is a link to some pics of his work.

>>>>KP's Gallery<<<<

Attachments

• 6428990_orig.jpeg
    6428990_orig.jpeg
    121 KB · Views: 33
  • 4217992_orig.jpeg
    4217992_orig.jpeg
    121.4 KB · Views: 32
  • 2804508_orig.jpeg
    2804508_orig.jpeg
    71.1 KB · Views: 31
  • 8721327.jpeg
    8721327.jpeg
    31.4 KB · Views: 42
Finally got a chance to turn some of the peach....nice figure! This is just a small vase 4" high or so...can't wait to get into the bigger blanks. Thanks again Rex.:thumb:

Attachments

• 100_0308.JPG
    100_0308.JPG
    34.6 KB · Views: 34
It was great to meet you Jeff. Have fun turning. I will fill the family in on the tool gloat. I used tax return to buy a Steel City TS that was on closeout at The Woodsmith Store. I know no pics didn't happen,but would you guys doubt a moderator? Pics will come when this dum dum get the pics figured out. I need to print the instructions from Vaughn.

you dont know jeff very well yet:) nice wood there jeff and how far into iowa are yu.. lookun at next years trip? how far from springfield IL? or another major town in IL

WOW, planning ahead huh. :rolleyes:

Springfield, IL is about 5hrs away...Moline,IL (Quad Cities) are around 2.5-3hrs...but KC is only 3...Maybe you could see Darren and then head north?:dunno: My dad will live here by then too...so you could meet 3 members, including Rex, in one stop!

sounds good to me jeff,, darren was on my list this year but he said he was gonna be gone but i think he wasnt ??? cuz he still was posting..west is the direction and might have a rider for navagation next time:)

Finally got a chance to turn some of the peach....nice figure! This is just a small vase 4" high or so...can't wait to get into the bigger blanks. Thanks again Rex.:thumb:
That's some real promising-looking wood, Jeff. :thumb: The faceplate under the vase has me perplexed. :huh: Is it attached to the piece, or just being used as a photo pedestal. If it's attached, I'm curious about it, since I've not seen one like that.

That looks great. I moved that old lathe into the shop and put a small piece on it. There are a few problems. 1. It is light so it chatters like crazy. 2. The bench is too low. 3. I haven't turned since 8th grade. 4. Just might need to sharpen the tools. In the end it was fun, might have to look at that SC that we talked about. Oh honey do we have any spare change? No.

That's some real promising-looking wood, Jeff. :thumb: The faceplate under the vase has me perplexed. :huh: Is it attached to the piece, or just being used as a photo pedestal. If it's attached, I'm curious about it, since I've not seen one like that.

Well Vaughn, I have developed, patent pending, a new and improved 2 way faceplate....see cad drawing below.....

Wait for it......

:p OK seriously, you are correct, I just used it as a pedestal for the pic. :D:rofl::)