Cherry table problem

Last spring, I asked for suggestions on ways to darken cherry to match other wood pieces. The overwhelming reply was "DON'T stain it, it will darken naturally". So I built a nice little hall table, put four coats of clear satin poly on it, and was pretty happy with the result.

We left VT in late November, and just got back here yesterday. We left two candlesticks and a vase on the table. The table did darken some, except for the three spots which were covered. You can easily make out the outlines of the vase and candlesticks. I'm assuming (hoping) that if we leave those spots exposed, and remove everything from the top when we head south again, the color will eventually even out. Am I kidding myself? If so , is there a way to fix the problem?

Tony

...I'm assuming (hoping) that if we leave those spots exposed, and remove everything from the top when we head south again, the color will eventually even out. Am I kidding myself? If so , is there a way to fix the problem?

Tony

Yeah, it'll eventually even out, but it'll probably take longer than just your wintering over period - more like a couple years. Prolonged exposure to sunlight will help, so placing the table under or near a window - preferably South facing - will speed up the process a bit.

Patience - a lot of it - is called for here.

If the table was raw I would have told you to take some course steel wool and emerce it in vinger for 24 hrs and then take the vinger and wipe on the cherry. But testing would be advisable to tetermine the darkness.