shooting board material

Well, I tried using a flush trim bit in the router to trim off the left behind bits and learned that either my saw isn't 90 degrees to the base, there's something wrong with my routing technique or there's some thing wrong with my router or the flush trim bit. The bit removed material deeper than where the bearing rode is what happened.

I finished trimming off the excess material on each side and then gave each edge a couple passes on the jointer. Not sure how good my end result is - across 54 cm length my edges are out of parallel by 2 mm. I started a new thread, shooting board accuracy, to discuss whether this difference is acceptable for a shooting board.

Not sure how I could improve upon my build other than to maybe figure out which edge is closest to perfectly square to the fence and then using the same EZ Smart router technique I used to parallel the edges of my walnut desk table top.

Well, I'm gonna take a break and drool over some pretty things over at Lakeshore Hardwoods. Maybe some of you will let me know whether I have anything to worry about or how to improve the shooting board if I do.

Thanks! :wave:

Here it is!

first_use.JPG

I added a ramp of birch plywood from Home Depot, as I had an appropriate offcut on hand. It really is nice seeing those little curlies, ain't it?

For the first use, I just leaned into my RAS fence - I'll add a cleat at some point.

Last edited:
A couple of points on building shooting boards ..

You can make them out of anything. But I prefer solid hardwood since they do need to be jointed now-and-then (or thrown away) as the side of the runway will wear.

A ramped shooting board is not about creating a "skew" for improved cutting, but about reducing the jarring action. The slight angle on the blade is sufficient for this.

Here is one of my ramped boards, made from Jarrah. The fence has micro-adjustability.

ShootingforPerfection_html_m3f021a61.jpg

Use it for mitres ..

ShootingforPerfection_html_m6b4bd9a2.jpg

or bevels ...

ShootingforPerfection_html_63f3db76.jpg

I posted this on the other thread:

Setting Up and Using a Shooting Board

Regards from Perth

Derek