Gouge Handles, Ginder Sale and more questions

Dan Mosley

Just got back from Las Vegas from watching the World Cup Equestrian Show Jumping. While i was there i decided to visit a wood working shop called Tool Barn and look around to see what they had. The Powermatic and Jet Reps were at the shop so i thought i lucked out on getting to meet them and ask questions. I was wrong as they were there to promote and sell machines more then being able to answer any technical questions but still a nice store. I did get to see the Oneway outboard setup and it is a very solid pc. of equipment - sturdy-strong-solid etc - very nice
I talked to the salesman there that told me that had a special on grinders (which i don't really need as i have a Jet wet grinder and a standard little bench grinder), tool handles, and gouges. The gouges were a poor selection and pricing would be better on the web so i skipped that.

Long story short i bought a Oneway handle (pic below) and i bought the slow tool grinder-Delta - (Pic below) and a vari-grind jig. They were out of the Wolverine itself but i ordered it online later that day.
The Handle was really not much of a deal at $45.00 but I needed another sturdy long handle. The grinder he offered me was the floor model (last one) at $125.00.
Now waiting on the Wolverine to arrive to setup a sharpening station which i do need for rough grinding and creating edges.

Not sure what kind of wood the bowl is in the picture but if anyone knows please let me know.........

Ill be writing more soon with questions on setting up the Wolverine and grinding edges..........thanks to all for listening............Dan

Attachments

• Thompson-Oneway (600 x 450).jpg
    Thompson-Oneway (600 x 450).jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 63
  • Grinder1 (600 x 450).jpg
    Grinder1 (600 x 450).jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 57
  • Grinder2 (600 x 450).jpg
    Grinder2 (600 x 450).jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 48
  • new wood 1 (450 x 600).jpg
    new wood 1 (450 x 600).jpg
    64 KB · Views: 59
  • New wood 2 (450 x 600).jpg
    New wood 2 (450 x 600).jpg
    64 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Let us know how you like that grinder after some real world experience with it. I'm considering one.
Hope ye like the handle. I know some folks like the interchangable thing. But, I prefer to pull a hunka wood out of the not-quite-scrap barrel and turn my own. Few minutes of fun with my lathe and I have a custom handle at zero cost.

OK I will express my ignorance...How do you securely mount the blade in the handle? This ain't no screwdriver. This thing gotta stay in the handle or you thing gonna end up in the hospital.

I know some tools have round tangs and that some have flat. The wood has to have strength. I also think it would be fun. Unfortunately that is my entire knowledge on the subject.

Any and all information will be appreciated by this newbee to turning.

Enjoy,

Jim

OK I will express my ignorance...How do you securely mount the blade in the handle? This ain't no screwdriver. This thing gotta stay in the handle or you thing gonna end up in the hospital.

I know some tools have round tangs and that some have flat. The wood has to have strength. I also think it would be fun. Unfortunately that is my entire knowledge on the subject.

Any and all information will be appreciated by this newbee to turning.

Enjoy,

Jim

The several I have made require some whacking on the end of the handle to seat the tool. Meaning, they are in there kinda tight. Using square stock, I usually grind off some of the corners, select a drill bit that allows the stock to fit, seat and whack. There is really no pressure trying to pull it back out. If yer the kind that wears both a belt and suspenders, you might grind grooves and stuff in the stock, add some Gorilla glue and seat. If yer really-really concerned about it coming out, you can then cross drill and pin. That would be gross overkill, IMHO.

I've only made a couple of my own tool handles. I drilled pretty much like Frank suggested and whacked them in place, but I did use epoxy. I forgot the cross grooves though, so hopefully I won't have any problems. Both tools are for light usage, so don't anticipate any problems.