Making a Wooden Mallet

Might look cool if you use a different type/color of wood for the center or "meat" of the sanwich. :dunno:

Just out of curiosity...why not just turn a BIG heavy round mallet? What, are you sliding back up the slope towards more flatwork? :D :p:wave:

a big heavy round mallet like, The Persuader? :D

Attachments

• persuader.JPG
    persuader.JPG
    51.7 KB · Views: 8
Remember my Bowling Pin mallet?

3205878169_5366b80386.jpg

Thanks Mike you always come through and you make it seem so obvious and easy:doh:.

I would think that any institution that does not automatically hire you would be all the poorer for it. All you need do is direct them to examine your posts here.
If you can take the effort to post a tutorial here the way you have just done and
not even get paid and
do it so well that it is clear in text and pictures
I just wonder how much one could learn from you in class.

All the best of luck with that interview.:thumb:

I have just decided what this weekends project is going to be....a Mike Henderson mallet. I already have one like Stu wants to make but it was made with pine ( back in SA) can you believe it. Talk about value engineering. It time to hit a chisel its like the chisel is telling the mallet to back off.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I think I will use some of that nice chocolate stuff that Larry dropped off at my home a few weeks back and make a Walnut block.

Promise to show pictures, just might not get it done in one weekend given other duties.

Mike let us know if you got the post. Tell them we will petition whoever on your behalf if they dont give it to you.:rofl::rofl:

You bet Frank that one is sweet and should last a VERY long time! :thumb:

I got the mostly flat mallet done dead easy to do, and fun, using the newly modified vice, and my hold fasts, as well as nice quiet hand tools for shaping etc.

mallet_ver_1_1.JPG mallet_ver_1_2.JPG

Paint me pleased! :D

mallet_turning_stock.JPG
I also got some stock glued up ready for turning to try out a Henderson Bent Mallet :thumb:

All from scraps from the Back Bench! :wave:

Cheers!

Hey Stu that Mallet looks first class. But in the third picture of the glue up I spotted something else that is even a better idea. That plastic handled push paddle. When I got mine for my jointer I thought mmmm these are a little on the risky side. When Larry stopped over and we were in the shop he said to put a tail on them. Now I see your idea and voila its just what the doctor ordered. Would you post a clearer pick for us to see. Man you have some great ideas. But I also like how you are open to rethinking your own.:thumb: Like Arts suggestion re the vice. Hey when I saw how much space your vice back board was going to take up I thought wow and you worried about space at the back of the vice.:rofl:

This is one of my biggest weaknesses I latch on to an idea and then get like bulldog and wont let go despite knowing better.:rofl: I am getting better though after time on this forum and seeing guys like you alter course. One thing you sure aint going to miss a chisel with that mallet head. It seems huge in the picture.:D

Mike, thanks for the tutorial and good luck with the interview.

I have already learnt many things from you at the Cerritos college and you weren't even an instructor back then. I am sure your students will be lucky to have you as an instructor.

Well, after three failed attempts, I gave up, for now, on the Henderson Bent Mallet, I just could not get it right for some reason :huh:

Instead, I went with a more traditional design.......

mallet_ver_2_1.jpg mallet_ver_2_2.jpg
Should be good enough for Dungeon work :D

mallets_vers_1_2.jpg
Here are the two mallets together.

These were fun, an I'm sure I'll get some use out of them :thumb:

Cheers!

Hey Stu that Mallet looks first class. But in the third picture of the glue up I spotted something else that is even a better idea. That plastic handled push paddle. When I got mine for my jointer I thought mmmm these are a little on the risky side. When Larry stopped over and we were in the shop he said to put a tail on them. Now I see your idea and voila its just what the doctor ordered. Would you post a clearer pick for us to see. Man you have some great ideas. But I also like how you are open to rethinking your own.:thumb: Like Arts suggestion re the vice. Hey when I saw how much space your vice back board was going to take up I thought wow and you worried about space at the back of the vice.:rofl:

This is one of my biggest weaknesses I latch on to an idea and then get like bulldog and wont let go despite knowing better.:rofl: I am getting better though after time on this forum and seeing guys like you alter course. One thing you sure aint going to miss a chisel with that mallet head. It seems huge in the picture.:D

>> HERE << you go Rob, just for you! :wave:

Great job all around Stu!
The traditional mallet is first class, a lifetime of service I am sure.

Now, calling you to task. Oh Stu, what a beautiful StopSaw and bench. It sure would be a shame to get wood glue all over them. If only there was a inexpensive wax-impregnated paper you could use during glue-ups... :huh:

Well, after three failed attempts, I gave up, for now, on the Henderson Bent Mallet, I just could not get it right for some reason :huh:

Cheers!
When I was developing the bent mallet, Stu, I had several failures. Make sure when you chuck it up in the offset locations that the headstock and tailstock go different ways for the offset and that you screw the tailstock in really tight - it's possible for the headstock to "slip" to a different location because of the non-continuous cutting. If you make sure you're doing that, it should come out okay.

If I could demonstrate it to you, I'm sure you'd understand immediately.

Mike

Last edited: