Things to see in Denver - woodworking-wise.

Rennie Heuer

Staff member
My youngest is getting married in Denver this June and we're going to spend a few extra days there. We're going on the Pike's Peak cog railway (to satisfy my second passion) but I'd also like to see something in the woodworking or arts & crafts vein.

Any suggestions - other than the Rockler and Woodcraft stores.:D

Down by Colorado Springs is Cave of the Winds. There are some cliff dwellings there also. The cave is really neat. Check out the Denver Mint also. Casa Bonita is a good Mexican place. I spent about a month out there but befor I got involved with woodworking.

I can't help you either Rennie but I will congratulate you on the upcoming wedding. Marriage as an institution seems to need all the support it can get these days. Wish the new couple well for the future from me. I know its a way off but this is incase I forget by then.:D:congrats:

On the other hand many of us older guys would say ....another one bites the dust.:rofl::rofl:

I can't help you either Rennie but I will congratulate you on the upcoming wedding. Marriage as an institution seems to need all the support it can get these days. Wish the new couple well for the future from me. I know its a way off but this is incase I forget by then.:D:congrats:

On the other hand many of us older guys would say ....another one bites the dust.:rofl::rofl:
Thanks Rob, I'll pass your well wishes along. The couple plan on taking their honeymoon this fall, in (are you listening Toni) Spain. I'll have to make sure something special goes over the pond with them.:D

Thanks Rob, I'll pass your well wishes along. The couple plan on taking their honeymoon this fall, in (are you listening Toni) Spain. I'll have to make sure something special goes over the pond with them.:D

Rennie, I haven't been to the place but IIRC, there is a Dealer for that Really High Dollar (German made I think) woodworking Bench there. I couldn't afford one, but IF I get the chance, I would sure like to see one in person. (Wish I could remember the name of that Bench). It's been so long since I lived there OR spent any time there I just can't help any further. Pass my Congratulations and Best wishes to the Kids too.

Norman I wonder if you are refering to Diefenbach Workbenches

They are in Pueblo, CO about two hours south of Denver.

AmericanOpenDrawers.jpg
http://www.diefenbachworkbenches.com/Catalog.htm

Congrats on the wedding.
And, you are being REAL smart taking the cog train up to PP. We once drove, before much of the road was paved, on the first day it was open one spring. Pure mud all the way. Coming down I had absolutely no braking or steering control. More than once I was sure we were going over the edge. I think all that saved us was the tires were following ruts in the mud. Never again. :eek:
I digress.
There is much to see and do in Colorado. Just outside Colorado Springs there is a olde style town with many shops. A couple have nice selections of local crafts on display for sale.
Going up into the mountains to towns like Woodland Park and Nederland, you will find a lot of 'arty' folks and, I'm sure, woodworkers, carvers, etc.

Try google for logging and sawmills. Never can tell what will crop up. Check for woodworking and turning sites in Denver. All most all woodies like to share their craft knowlage, and might tell you of other things in the area.
Mark