Finally finished my hard maple workbench

Dave Haynes

Well it's been a long time coming but I finally finished my traditional hard maple workbench. I had wanted to built a good sturdy bench ever since I started woodworking about a half dozen years ago. I saw a plan in Woodsmith Magazine (No. 173) some time back and decided that was the bench I wanted. I could have made the bench from cheaper materials but I only wanted to do this one time (at least that's what I'm saying at this point in time). Here is the result.

Completed Bench.jpg

I have a complete building process article on my website if interested in how the project went. You can find it at: http://www.oldaveswoodshop.com/Workbench.php

Dave
http://www.oldaveswoodshop.com

Dave, Welcome to the Family. :wave:

Great first post and documentation of the build. Thanks! I will be spending some time looking around your webiste very soon. :thumb:

Welcome to the Family Dave! :wave:

What a great first post :thumb:

I had a look at the whole process on your site, and that is one well built bench, I'm sure you will get a LOT of use out of it! :clap:

Have you used "Hold Fasts" before? I just got some from >> HERE << and boy are they slick!

Made by Gramercy, they are even on sale now for $28.75 a pair. With all them dog holes, you could really use hold fasts! :D That is if you are not already using them :wave:

Again, welcome to the Family!

Stu

OOoooo thats nice :thumb: Lets see, Elkhart is only about an hour from me, SOOOoooo, when will you be gone :rolleyes::rofl::rofl: and as Stu said, welcome and great way to start with that. Nice bench:thumb:

Tom

Nice job Dave! I am just about ready to start my own bench and might just have to order that article. I have a stack of hard maple sitting in my shop for over a year to acclimate. It is air dried but I figure if it has been there that long it should be O.K. to use for a bench. It is all rough sawed from a tree I took down about 5 years ago. I'm not sure how big to make the bench- I have less space in my shop than you have in yours. Looks like your shop is really nice and spacious. (mine is just 18 x 32 with 11 ft. ceiling)

Thanks for posting the pics.

Great job on the work bench Dave, and welcome to the family!:thumb: I love the looks your bench and I think it looks strong enough to build and engine on it:D

I've never had the desire to have a bench like that:eek: Just never seamed to work for the kind stuff I do.

That is one nice looking bench Dave. I think what you just built is what I'm looking for in a bench:thumb:. I use my shop for woodworking and doing the restoration of my '78 el camino and like royal said it looks strong enough to build a motor on!

Between what you ,Stu,Ned, Frank and Royal have done I really need to do a little remodel in my shop now that I've had a chance to work in it and find the flaws with the way its setup.

Boy, you step out to the shop for a few hours and an entire introduction, first post, first pic and lengthy conversation happens behind your back! Welcome and nice bench and thanks for the pics that take us along on the build.

Hi Dave.
Welcome to the family, and thanks for the pic and the link to the rest of the project.

That is a great looking bench.:thumb::thumb:

Although I have a bench that has served me well for about 25 years, I want to build a bigger one. But I can't make up my mind about the wood to use. One day I'm definitely decided to build it from hard maple, and the following day I think I rather use that wood for other projects than a bench, and I keep going back and forth without taking a decision.:(