Learning stuff

Jim Burr

Has anyone ever taken a workshop (3-5 day) at Craft Supply? Being mostly self taught, I'm really think some of the bad or non-existent habits could go away. :wave::rolleyes:

I've never taken a course, but just watching a demo by a pro once taught me a lot...of course I'm probably back to my bad habits now since that was over a year ago. :huh:

If the cost seems right, I'd say go for it.

Jim , furthering education in any vocation is always a good thing weather you study on your own through types or in a classroom setting. I have taken many hours of class/hands on studies. I like the interaction with others students and on spot instructions. I get allot from other students questions that I did not think of.

At 55 I'm still leaning and if something comes along I want to learn a classroom is fast. The pro's usually give good tid-bits not shared in types.

Frank I hope to still be learning and have to desire to too when I'm an ol Fart :rofl:

Heck, I just hope I live to be an old fart :eek:

I have to agree that the DVDs and such are great, I know I have a modest collection :rolleyes: but hands on cannot be beat, especially if you luck out and have a good, or great teacher.

Cheers!

Read about it and sure have thought about doing the same and taking the shop classes.........but self taught also from this site and others but what i think helped me the most is buying some DVD's (Grumbine's both of them, Tibbits, and Raffan). Each one has something to offer and i can watch them over and over and practice trial and error - have learned alot this way - same thing with the tool grinding video's from Oneway and Jet........
Lastly, before i opened my wallet and bought the video's i watched (and still do) U-tube videos on wood turning.........always learning something.
I have some books on turning but i find the videos helped me the most.

Dan

I have also amassed a bunch of DVD's and video's. They are great for me because of the distances I would have to travel for a class. So I am pretty much self taught. My son did treat me to a class in Richmond twice in the last two years. One by Larry Hasek and one by Al Stirt. Al showed me a couple of different ways of presenting a gouge to the wood and it really changed things for me. Larry showed a couple of things in doing HF's that changed the way I do things. Interaction with different turners of all skill levels is also amazing. So if I had a place close I would prefer hands on. You can get questions answered and will be shown how to do cuts, etc. right there. IMHO if you have a chance Jim I would jump on it.

learning stuff

I took a week long class at John C Campbell Folk School in Brasstown, NC and it was outstanding. The entire week was working with hollow forms and lidded oriental boxes. In addition to having a great instructor (Charles Watson) it was great to spend time with 9 other turners picking up bits of wisdom and advice. Being able to dedicate 5 solid days of turning is a great opportunity. Each student had their own lathe, workstation and ready access to the instructor. I came away from that week with a renewed turning energy, lots of ideas and an increased skill level.

I got more books an dvd's than I can count an still can't turn worth a darn.Took one 8 hr class,cost me 100 bucks,and it was a total waste of my money.Shoulda checked up on that fella.

Heck, I just hope I live to be an old fart :eek:

I have to agree that the DVDs and such are great, I know I have a modest collection :rolleyes: but hands on cannot be beat, especially if you luck out and have a good, or great teacher.

Cheers!

Aww Stu to someone younger you are an old fart. It all comes down to perspective. :eek: :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I totally agree with everything that Stu said. It is the small things that video's just can't show and the way a tool feels in your hands as it works the wood. Nothing can replace on hands experience.

Has anyone ever taken a workshop (3-5 day) at Craft Supply? Being mostly self taught, I'm really think some of the bad or non-existent habits could go away. :wave::rolleyes:

Hey Jim - did you ever decide to take the plunge? Summer's almost over; better hurry!

I'm still working forward through the last 4 months of posts; it's been heartening to see that the "banana test" is still alive and well. :thumb:

To answer your question, I took a class at CSUSA with one of my brothers back in 2004. It was a 5-day Beginner class with Rex Burningham. We made several things that I probably never would have thought to try on my own, including my first lidded box, my first "real" bowl (after making my first fancy funnel :eek:), a large platter, a hefty bud vase, and even a mallet - which I still use.

We couldn't take whatever we wanted off of CSUSA's warehouse shelves (go figure!) but they had a good selection of blanks in the classroom area in various species for us to choose from. I need to find some more Myrtle ... I remember that being one of my favorites.

Besides getting instruction from an expert, it was great to have the use of a nice lathe, and interaction wth the other students and with CSUSA "regulars" like Dale Nish and Kip Christensen ... we even had Mike Mahoney and Stuart Batty drop in to say Hi one day.

I need to sign up for another class - they can really "kick start" you with ideas and enthusiasm. And they have so many excellent teacher/turners to choose from. Besides - it's only about a 12-mile drive for me. :D

I suppose some of the "edge" has been taken off thanks to the long-running Utah Woodturners club that I discovered about 2.5 years ago, and the CSUSA-sponsored club that hit its 1-year mark this month. Yep, I make the 12-mile trip to the CSUSA campus at least once a month now, and have to keep my hand on my wallet as I walk through the showroom to the demo area. At this month's meeting we had a "distinguished visitor": Jimmy Clewes was the class instructor that week, and attended the meeting in the evening. (2nd Wednesday of the month.)

Anyway ... I hope something in all of that was helpful.

Last edited:
I'm self-taught, with a lot of help from the Internet. I've only got about 3 videos, and while they have been a big help, I'd like to get some hands-on instruction. There's an advantage to having someone actually watch your technique and offer tips to improve it.

Frank I hope to still be learning and have to desire to too when I'm an ol Fart :rofl:

I'll bet Frank also hopes to still be learning when he becomes one, too. :D :p

I taught WWing for most of my life and still I would go to a class :thumb:

If you can't learn something new then your backing up. Every day I learn from this and other forums, Magazines, demos, watching others and listening...

Old Guys Rule, but if you don't learn something every day then you're not paying attention.

I wanted to take a class in making Shaker Boxes but by the time I got off my wallet and went to sign up, they stopped the class.... Snooze you Loose :(