Shop Tour-One Eleven Store

DSCF0021.jpg

The old timers tell that this old hotel (hasn't been a hotel since 1668) was a bordello, the one story diner is my wood room,the middle room is a little gallery the big garage door on the east side opens into my shop-
start with a look in the wood room-
IMG_8007.jpg

IMG_8008.jpg

IMG_8012.jpg

IMG_8015.jpg

IMG_8017.jpg

IMG_8010.jpg

IMG_8009.jpg

TEXAS2302.jpg

looking at a piece of teak
TEXAS2303.jpg

next into the shop-

Last edited:
Sweet Jesus!!
that's some lumber you've got there. And the space! This coming from a fella working out of his old basement shop - barely enough height to get my band saw in. Barely enough electricity to crank up the machines, and barely enough daylight to keep me from molding over.
You've got more wood than a lot of wood suppliers i've seen.
Nice setup.
What's upstairs???
paulh

I'll second the notion that that's a lot of wood. Those are some fairly wide pieces of rough sawn wood you're holding in the last picture. I can't make out the type of wood it is but do you have a planer big enough to handle them or do you have to rip them to size first?

This old hotel was built in 1910-the large room on the east end was the parking garage and auto repair after the hotel closed it was a boxing gym for awhile,it's 30ft.x60ft. with 14 ftl ceilings-
IMG_8025.jpg

-just inside the front door is the big band saw-a 36"SCMI made 1984 -
IMG_7980.jpg

IMG_7983.jpg

the little band saw at the left is a 14" Walker Turner-
IMG_7985.jpg

to the left of the little band saw is the sharpening bench- with water stones a water jug and a little grinder, the grinder is a 1725 rpm 1/2hp motor that I fixed up so I could put on a 6" grinding wheel-this works just fine very seldom burns and you get a good hollow grind-
IMG_8064.jpg

IMG_8075.jpg

IMG_8072.jpg

next to the sharpening bench is a little sketching table-
TEXAS1023.jpg

more later--alex

This old hotel was built in 1910...
The old timers tell that this old hotel (hasn't been a hotel since 1668) was a bordello...
Just goes to show; the oldest profession even pre-dates where it is practiced!

Great pictures and story Ed, thanks for sharing!

The cafe was used as Honey's Diner in the 1997 movie Hope Floats, which starred Sandra Bullock, Harry Connick, Jr. and Gena Rowlands.

Last edited:
Alex, you have a great space, and by space, I mean S-P-A-C-E :thumb:

I can only dream about space like that, I have to go top side sometimes if I want to change my mind, my shop is so small/full of stuff :eek:

You have some really nice machines in there as well, funny how perspective works, that 14" bandsaw looks like a little benchtop unit :D

More pictures please! :wave:

There is nothing upstairs,yes I do have a planer big enough to plane that piece of teak and Frank is right , the name Honeys Diner was put on for a movie the real name was The Pines Cafe.
Now to the shop-on the right side of the big band saw on the east wall is the junk bench,there is a double grinder there for lathe tools,a buffer,a little metal vise an anvil and lots of junk-
IMG_8040.jpg

next to the junk bench is my lathe-it's an old Fay and Scott pattern-makers lathe,the bed is 10ft. the swing is 18" the pulley system was put on by me-a friend turned the 4 step pulley on the spindle, the grooves are a 1/8" bigger than the matching pulley on the jack shaft so the speeds don't repeat- this old lathe was made around the late eighteen,are early nineteen hundreds-
DSCF0013.jpg

DSCF0024.jpg

DSCF0025.jpg

DSCF0015.jpg

I don't do much turning,I use the lathe more for my red-neck rigged mortiser - The red-neck rigged mortiser is very simple,for an adjustable table I took an old wood vise turned it upside down and bolted it to the lathe, I added a second nut to lock it down, ( I have a way to make fine adjustments) the router has stops both forward and side to side--the trouble with all horizontal mortisers is the work is on the wrong side and you have to bend your head over to see what your doing,so I turned it around---works perfect--
IMG_8030.jpg

IMG_8035.jpg

showing the second nut
IMG_8033.jpg

IMG_8036.jpg

more to come--next the big enchilada-
alex

between the big band saw and the lathe and further into the shop is my #1 table*saw a 16" Tannewitz Model U made 1946 it's direct drive a 5hp motor-the table is 43" long and 37" wide with a 25 wooden extension router table on the right side-the router is 2 1/2hp-
just in front of the saw is the saw caddy-
IMG_8055.jpg

IMG_8043.jpg

IMG_8046.jpg

IMG_8142.jpg

this saw is the work horse,the big enchilada
IMG_8129.jpg

just past the router table is my shaper-a little 3/4" General,this is the only machine in my shop I bought new-
IMG_8139.jpg

IMG_8136.jpg

cut offs from the table saw pile up along the east wall.
IMG_8147.jpg

more to come---alex

Across from the #1 table saw on the left (west side of the rm.) is the #2 table saw-a 10" tilt table Delta-no date when saw was made-maybe mid-forties- this little saw was real beat up when I got it-lots of elbow grease,new paint,new bearings,I replaced the old aluminum pulleys with double groove steel pulleys,added a new 1725 rpm 2hp motor,a wooden extension and 50lb. of extra wt.--
IMG_8085.jpg

IMG_8081.jpg

showing the 50lbs.extra wt.
IMG_8087.jpg

just in front of the little saw is the saw caddy-
IMG_8080.jpg

against the west wall is the work-bench-the shop is a wheel,the work bench is the hub-it all starts here-it all comes back here-the bench is 9ft. long 19in.wide with a 11in. tool tray the two front vises are quick release Columbians,the end vise is an old Morgan,all three are faced with 2" walnut. I made this bench from birch,the pieces are 1x2 full length,the board on the face is old long leaf pine,the base is home depot 2x6-
IMG_8048.jpg

IMG_8051.jpg

IMG_8052.jpg

IMG_8053.jpg

IMG_8076.jpg

IMG_8054.jpg

more to come---alex

Just to the left and behind the #2 saw is the little jointer-it's a 6"Walker Turner-maybe made- mid forties-
IMG_8089.jpg

IMG_8091.jpg

next to the little jointer and against the wall is a Newton 2 bit horizontal-
IMG_8092.jpg

next is an old Walker Turner drill press -to keep the table easy to adjust I put a pulley under the motor and a cable attached to the table and counter weights on the other end-
IMG_8094.jpg

IMG_8096.jpg

IMG_8097.jpg

across the shop and in the middle of the shop pointing the towards the front is the big jointer-it's a 16" Italian job-
IMG_8114.jpg

IMG_8119.jpg

more to come----alex