Bunch o' Small Stuff - Show Update

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
I've been busy getting ready for the first show of the season (and maybe the only one, depending on the sales) by building up my inventory of less expensive stuff. No fine art turning by any means, just quick and dirty pieces (with nice finishes) that I hope will sell.

Some red eucalyptus potpourri bowls...

Potpourri Bowls April 2009 1 - 800.jpg

Some spalted alder versions with a spalted sycamore in the middle...

Potpourri Bowls April 2009 2 - 800.jpg

An assortment of confetti lights. Clockwise from upper left: spalted alder, red eucalyptus, spalted alder, walnut, osage orange, and walnut...

Confetti Lamps April 2009 - 800.jpg

And some magnetic paper clip bowls. Clockwise from upper left: red cedar, dunno wood, walnut, spalted hackberry, spalted maple, flame box elder, and osage orange...

Paper Clip Bowls April 2009 - 800.jpg

Well, the show starts in about 9 1/2 hours. I'd better hit the hay. :zzz:

Very nice, Vaughn, and a good variety of colors and woods. Good Luck, I hope there's a good turnout and they're all in the market to BUY something, even if less expensive is all they can afford to shell out right now.

Very good. Surely they will sell. Folks are saying that economy has begun to return. It will take a while (they hope) but has made the turn. Should help some.
Doug

Nice looking xstuff there. What arer 'confetti lamps'

For small stuff we also do keyrings, light pulls, weed pots and bud vases. All of whuich can be knocked up in about 10 - 15 minutes each with a bit of practice and sell cheaply.

Pete

Nice work Vaughn! I just ordered some of those potpourri lids from PSI to get me up to their free shipping threshold. I'll give them a try one of these days. We will be interested to hear how your show goes. Good Luck!

fantastic stuff Vaughn, love your ideas... and if I might ask, where do you get the tops for the potpourri jars? I can use those for the center of stained glass projects.

...Is this the Brentwood show? date?

It's the Mission West show in South Pasadena. I meant to send you an e-mail to let you know it was going on. If you're not doing anything Sunday, drop on by, :wave:

So far the show's going OK, but still slower than we'd like. We're on our way to making the $280 entry fee back, but we're not quite there yet. The small stuff has been the only stuff selling so far, but there's no telling what will be selling tomorrow. The only thing that is certain about these shows is that nothing is ever certain. ;) We're still having fun, though.

KaLea, Penn State and Craft Supplies both sell the potpourri lids. The potpourri bowls were pretty popular today. One lady bought one to hold cotton balls in her guest bathroom. :)

We ended up coming out ahead for the weekend after paying the entry fees. :) It wasn't a big moneymaker for us, but we've had worse. :rolleyes: Today we sold a couple of the higher-priced pieces, but I'd still say the smaller stuff helped get us over the hump and into the profitable side of the books. There were not a lot of people at the show either day, and about the only busy vendors were those selling items in the $5 range. The "$5 per pair/$20 for 5 pairs" earring lady did brisk business next door to us today (although it was slow for her on Saturday).

All in all, we had a fun weekend, and got some recommendations for another couple of shows we'd not heard of before. I think I'll be seeing if we can get into a show in Sherman Oaks on Mother's Day weekend that was recommended by a couple vendors as one that would be a good match for my stuff.

Glad to hear you got over the Hump, and it's always good to get new marketing information from knowledgeable vendors, (which isn't Always easy to come by).