Any outdoor movie fanatics?

allen levine

Although I have a very small, tiny actuallyproperty, we all enjoy watching movies outdoors on a 10 foot screen now that the warm weather is here.
we can hook up a dvd to the projector, and mount the projector outside and its like a drive in movie.
although this is better,(high definition) open bar, food at your fingertips, bbq, baked ziti,any tray foods, snacks, popcorn, candy, anything to make you happy, and we can run 2 movies at night till 1 am, or hook up the Wi system and all the kids love to play the games, especialloy the action games on a ten foot screen.

Ive used pressure treated lumber for the screen frame, and pvc material for the screen surface, plastic white tarp.
this year, we decided to sink some pipe into the ground,as pole holders, and just build a screen out of 3-4 inch pvc piping, sliding it in when we need it, a few screws, some t's some elbows, and were set. we hook the screen onto the frame with bungee cords.

we figure the cost around 100 bucks, maybe a bit more for all th supplies.

then we discovered something last night I thought Id share with any other outdoor movie fans.
the borg and walmart type stores sell 12 foot inflatable screens for under 200 dollars. Has its own blower attached, like an inflatable bed, can be stored in a duffle, and best of all, can be set up anywhere.!!!!

gonna go with the blow up screen, Ill let anyone interested know how it works out.

rennie not really bad unless very humid and hot.august, not so bad.

darren, my son laid underground speaker wires for this summer, when the electrician had the trench open for the electric line, my son ran cable.
He hooks 3 nice size speakers up at screen, and 2 more in back of audience(hehehehe, at the back of my house), for the surround sound effects.
WEre good with sound till about 10:30 or so, then I make him turn it down a bit.
I watched the world series two years ago whenit was raining outside here, we sat under a tent.
I wanted to make a superbowl party outdoors if the giants got it, but most of my friends told me Im nuts if I think they are going to stand outdoors in feb and watch the game. so that idea got crushed pretty fast.

Chez' Levine is stylin . . .

We might need to start a thread "FWW Cribs!" modeled after the MTV and CMT (Country Music Television for you Country music challenged folks) shows.

I can only respond with a hammock and landscape speakers in a shady portion of the back yard. Stereo only, no surround sound!

Allen - how big is your property? Do you have close neighbors or are they there drinking beer with you during the movie?

When's the First Annual FWW Video Marathon - featuring the completed DVD's of David Marks and Norm of NYW? :rofl:

Cheers

Jim

neighbors, well, uh.......the only one Im a bit concerned about and make sure we dont disturb her is the one in back of me. Ive never said more than 20 words to her other than mentioned she keeps a great garden, and once she asked me if I minded if she cut away parts of my tree that hung low in her yard, ofcourse I told her not at all, and she had a crew cut down more than 1/2 of at least a 60 y/o tree.
I make sure the light doesnt shine past the screen into her back door.
And we usually only use the big screen on a saturday night, so we dont disturb anyone during the week.
Noone has complained.
The neigbhor on the near side of me, is an elderly lady, Id guess 90 percent deaf cause she doesnt hear me when I yell to her from 10 feet, but if she said anything out of respect cause shes a great person, Id shut it off on her request.And the other neighbor, rules prevent me from discussing what I think of him.
Most other people on my street, have open invites and come over if they are free and home.
I have a very small property, around 45x105? yep, Long Island, thats all I can afford out here. Taxes are killers.(my daughter has friend up in the buffalo area of ny, amherst, lockport, etc.......they have properties the size of my zipcode.it always amazes me when its really not farm land.

Sounds like fun.. haven't been to an outdoor movie since I was stationed on Guam in 1961-62... We always checked to see what the cartoon was going to be, then put on our swim trunks and raincoats... it seemed like it always rained if it was a good movie.
Today we probably would get arrested for being perverts if we went to the movies dressed like that.

Sounds like fun.. haven't been to an outdoor movie since I was stationed on Guam in 1961-62... We always checked to see what the cartoon was going to be, then put on our swim trunks and raincoats... it seemed like it always rained if it was a good movie.
Today we probably would get arrested for being perverts if we went to the movies dressed like that.

Sounds like Hilo to me!:D:rofl::rofl:

Allen you are my kind of man. You want to do it and you go ahead and get it done. Youre an inspiration for living I really mean that.

Gosh that blow up takes up space though, I would have thought with all those new tools you could have rigged up something with less space and a screen a lot more streched out. Thinking like a deerskin would be streched on a wooden frame.

Hey man I would think it would be fun to be one your neighbors. Tiki bar, nice chairs to lounge in, flashing shot bar, cool outdoor movies, throw in a few Jewish delicacies and youre grooving. You seem well and trully ready for the summer.:D:thumb::thumb::thumb::wave:

movie nights start at around 7PM, on a saturday.
friends and family, 4-6 foot hero, italian one side, chicken with muzzarela cheese and roasted peppers the other side.
Burgers and hot dogs, sometimes ribs on the grill for whoever wants to go that way, salads, fruitbowls, and a couple trays of ziti or lasagne, to round if all off.
Then around 8;30, one of the grown kids, will tend bar and the blender is blasting away making all those frozen drinks. (course, most just want beer)
the popcorn machine is always on, and full, and theres usually a few bowls of candy and chocolates for anyone that craves that during movies.
Most people who come here for movie nights leave 4 pounds heavier.
WE leave the kids out there till 2 or 3 in the morning, as long as they keep it down, because lets face, I aint 26 no more, and I cant party all night like they can. I go out the next day and spend 4 hours cleaning and seperating bottles and putting away everything.

busy day today, and I wasnt feeling too great, didnt touch the wood working, but did at least get to the car dealer and pick out a new truck, since this one goes back shortly.

any FWW member in northeast, just let me know your interested for a movie night, Ill send the dat eand directions.

Hey Allen that sounds like such fun. It made me recall the time when i was around 16- 18 back in the day. We never had television in South Africa until 1975. Yup can you believe it I made it through high school without it.

So to entertain ourselves we had home movies. All across the country the movie hire joints sprung up where you could hire a 16mm projector and the good old reel movies. We would get a cartoon, TV short as the "serial" not that we managed to get sequences, and then onto a main feature. Sometimes a double feature. We did all this in doors at a friend (almost a brother) of mines place. His mother would lay on the food and snacks, his Dad funded the whole thing, and we would invite our friends and most important of all girlfriends. The parents always thought since it was over at his place the girls were safe..right yeah...

But I would imagine just that just like your movie nights, the movie was not important at all. It was the getting together with friends and the whole social occassion.

On the fun side we used to entertain ourselves with great fun when the titles or credits rolled, by shouting out names of nobodies in the movie and giving them celebrity status as if to say wow mr nobody starred in that great movie.

Keep it up and enjoy.:thumb:

Rob's comment about no TV till 1975 reminded me of something. . .

I was talking with a coworker on the phone one day and made a Seinfeld or Simpson's reference, and the person on the other end didn't "get it".

He sensed that he had "missed" something and related that had grown up in a household without a TV, and hadn't watched TV until he went to college.

He said that he's seriously deficient on pop-culture references (ie Seinfeld and the Simpson's) and that it was difficult for him sometimes in conversations because they are used so liberally.

It interesting what our parents do to us in our own best interest.

Cheers

Jim

youre invited JIm, you live close enough to make it here and back in a night, unless ofcourse you eat too much popcorn, Id never let you get behind the wheel of a car if you consume too much popcorn......uh......well, you know what I mean.

I was talking with a coworker on the phone one day and made a Seinfeld or Simpson's reference, and the person on the other end didn't "get it".

He sensed that he had "missed" something and related that had grown up in a household without a TV, and hadn't watched TV until he went to college.

He said that he's seriously deficient on pop-culture references (ie Seinfeld and the Simpson's) and that it was difficult for him sometimes in conversations because they are used so liberally.

It interesting what our parents do to us in our own best interest.
Cheers

Jim

Maybe it my age or lack of pop-culture,:( but I never watched either Seinfeld or the Simpson... in my view both were totally senseless. I've never seen more than 5 or 6 minutes of "Dallas" or any of the nighttime soaps either...
I don't watch "reality" TV or most of the drivel on TV today... I prefer a good cops and robbers show, or a western, or the discovery channel or the history channel. As I said, maybe its just my age or something really really wrong with me.. .:D