Ok so we have decided that the use of curse or bad words is to remain as it stands.
So could we have a list of taboo words so that every one knows what is and what is not ok?

chuck,
years back this was hashed and re-hashed and at the time the group of us sitting in the hot seat decided to try and keep the filters intact for the primary offences and to leave the secondary offences to be determined by the moderators that where in office. these folks would/or should, have their fingers on the pulse of the forum and could weigh if "howdy-do" was being used in a manner that was contrary to a "family friendly" environment.
if folks believe that the coc as written isn`t written well then by all means institute a vote to amend it......on the otherhand if folks believe the current moderators are not interpreting the coc as they read it then wait `till next election and vote in folks who will view things in a similar light.
the beauty of a member driven forum is that the members decide how the forum moves forward...those of us who set up the coc and the forum itself intended it to remain flexible, the only thing we where certain about is that we wanted all family members from biker cousin fred to grandma mary to feel at home.

Chuck, it will be fairly easily defined, for some words, I cannot mention them here, as they will cause the software to cross them out using asterisk them out.

I think that Vaughn has an image of the banned words somewhere that we could link to, I just did a quick search and could not find it :huh:

The words that are up for interpretation, well, they will always be a moving target, and I imagine that they will change over time, so defining that is going to be a difficult thing to do.

Sorry, but I've got to run, I have the whole family waiting, we are on our way out the door! :wave:

Chuck, the filter words are a relatively short list of common curse words or slurs that we figured are particularly 'bad'. Some of George Carlin's list is there, as well as a couple racial or sexual epithets.

If you really want to see it, here's the list. There's nothing there you haven't seen before (I've know said 'em all), but I think you'll agree none of them have a place here.

In addition to the filter words, though, there are other "borderline" words that some will feel are OK for a family forum, and others won't. That's where things get interesting for the Mods. It's a sticky wicket, no matter what side of the discussion you're on.

I thought we all decided that the best way to answer this question was to simple ask the poster to ask themselves "Would I say this in church?" If the answer is "probably not", then it makes for a strong case not to say so on here.

Just my take on the topic...

I thought we all decided that the best way to answer this question was to simple ask the poster to ask themselves "Would I say this in church?" If the answer is "probably not", then it makes for a strong case not to say so on here.

Just my take on the topic...

Ok Travis what type of church are we talking about now. I know a couple of base chaplins that can really put a trucker to shame with their language. And for non beleives that would pretty much not have any much meaning. Bugs bunny and the road runner are taken off the air because of the intent that it relays to the kids and it being too violent. Come on how many of us grew up with that cartoon and actually believed that we could jump off a cliff and walk away? some zelous groups are watching cartoons trying to figure out which ones are gay to have them banned.

Like Carlin said it best that they are only words with no intent or meaning just words. and he was refering to the 7 that you could not say on TV back in 1972 ( me thinks). That was 37 yrs ago almost an entire generation. It is the meaning of the words that people are offened by and for lots of us it is common place in present day usage. You know years ago when I was a kid you never saw some of the things that are put on Tv today allowed. I work in a field where some less educated people use lots of profanity just because they lack the vocabulary to use other words to express themselves and I suggest alternative ways to say things to them. Granted this site has rules and we all agree to them and yes there are exceptions to the rules and we have had this debate on censorship before and i am sure it will again.

The less educated don't have a lock on colorful language. The biggest vocabulary lesson I ever had was sitting outside the NEX at the Navy nuke school in South Carolina waiting for my son to get out of class. These kids are some of the brightest ones the Navy recruits. The girls were some of the better ones at turning the air blue. I have worked heavy manufacturing for 30 years and thought I knew them all but I picked up some good ones that afternoon.

I am more offended by the holier than thou I have worked with that thumped the Bible all day and at the end of the shift looked for what they could steal from the company. Words are just words, I haven't seen anything in print here that I haven't heard on any school playground.

What if you grew up with thief or robber?

Theft and robbery aren't in quite the same bracket as cursing. Cursing is a lot more subjective, and it's still legal in all 50 states. ;)

As Stu said, what's considered OK will always be open for interpretation. For example, we allow "crap" but "damn" is considered cursing. :huh: And apparently "hell" is taboo but "heaven" is OK to say, even though both are referring to concepts that are religious in nature (another no-no).

Bottom line is that there is no hard line that can be drawn to completely encompass the "good words" vs. "bad words" debate. Some will say a "zero tolerance" policy is the way to go, but if that's the case then we'd need to throw out "heck" and "darn" and "gosh", since all of them are derived from curse words. Same with abbreviations like "BS" or "WTH". And while we're at it, we'd need to disallow the mere mention of things like prayer and church, since those are obviously religious in nature.

I think we just need to try to act like adults, with consideration of others, and not be in such a hurry to push our own beliefs and social mores on others.

...I think we just need to try to act like adults, with consideration of others, and not be in such a hurry to push our own beliefs and social mores on others.

With that, I wholeheartedly agree.

BTW, I thought we decided a few months ago to allow "damn," and I thought "hell" was allowed, too. The area just keeps getting grayer and grayer.

Carlin's 'seven words' will always be out, and that's a good thing, but I do think there's room for a few (very few) allowable words and phrases.

Maybe a well-worded poll - heavily advertised to attract maximum voter participation - is called for.

I've read all the posts. I think I understand what everyone is saying or trying to put across.:eek: I think we are working with an interesting age group with in the forum. Bear with me as I try to put my thoughts into words. I believe that the people on this forum are at a transitional point or line. Those that are more opposed to tolerance in the language at FW are, I would guess (as this is a guess) are closer to the 70’s age group than those that don’t see the fuss. Hang in here with me before you start typing as this is JUST the way it comes across to me. TV back in the late 60’s and early 70’s made a big change and we started to hear more words that were “bad” than ever before. Heck (can I say heck?) married people on TV started to sleep in the same bed or say the word pregnant!:eek: What’s the world coming too!!??? When I was very young I wondered why my folks didn’t sleep in separate beds!:rofl: I think what I’m trying to say here is, there is a large jump between the generations that are the majority on FW. Most of us are late 50’s and up. I don’t think there was ever such a big social change take place between the past generations as there was in the late 60’s right there where our formative years were. We are ALL hypocritical to a certain extent. I know that there is less tolerance with the older generation but I leaned most of my “language skills” from the older kids/generation!:D

Having greyed a few hairs on this one last year, I'll put my .02c in.

While understanding that not everyone here will agree that the sky is blue (usually), I think we're all in relative agreement that we like coming here and that this is one of the better forums to hang out on.

One of the key differences here vs elsewhere is that we respect others and their opinions. Newbies won't get blasted about asking 'which gizmo should I buy...' or 'I like brand X, which model doohickey should I buy next?'

We're appreciative of each others' efforts in the shop, and laugh and pick on those of us who may take *ahem* a little ... Longer at doing something than the collective whole thinks is reasonable. :rolleyes:

What we dont' have to deal with are language which is offensive to Most members here. And the grey area is never going to get pinned down, that's why we have People and not just filters in place. It can also be things which we may not think are offensive, and won't generally be viewed as such. I can think of one member who didn't like that I'm open about my Masonic activities. Sadly he decided to move on, not because of anything I said in a post, but because at one time I used a Square and Compass sign as my icon.

Count me in the 'I can swear like a trucker camp (good thing too, I used to be one)' however this isn't a trucker's lounge, it's a Woodworking forum Slanted towards family friendly as far as its atmosphere. While famly means something different to every one of us here, and not everyone is as genteel as others, there are other forums which cater to woodworking and have much more leeway in their rules on content. On those rare occasions I visit them, I put up with their atmosphere to gain some info. I don't visit often, however. I prefer a bit more civility. And I work at keeping my tone here above average. Partly out of wanting to keep the mods' jobs easy, but more the point of personal pride.

We've lost some members over too much moderation in the past. We've also gained a bunch of members because we're Different in our approach than other forums. We elect our moderators, they're not appointed by some remote person as on other venues.

Let the Mods do their jobs, interpreting what is and isn't outside of the CoC. If they feel that something needs further clarification they can and should put it up for Resolution at election time.

And Mods, you're doing a fine job by the way, old and new alike. by asking open discussion to help work it out. Withouth this sort of thread, you wouldn't know what the membership thinks about the situation. In the end, however it will still fall to you to make the case by case decisions.