WTB: Krenov style plane blade and chip breaker

ken werner

Just looking to see if any Family members have a Hock Krenov style plane iron and chip breaker they aren't using. I'd prefer 1 1/2 - 1 3/4" wide. Thinking to try my hand at a plane from scratch.

Thanks,
Ken

whoaaaa!!!

hey horsee wait fer me,,larry speaking i got a chunk of this stuff to and so grab two ken!!! i will trade the chunk i got fer you for a chip breaker and iron!! this is called country ransom yu get the wood when i get an iron:) will drop a pic in to show ya what we got coming,, this is mid to late 1800's
MVC-082S.JPG

tod here......a 4x4 16"ish is 15#or so? i think it`s red beech but i`m not sure, it smells kinda spicy when cut..

Just looking to see if any Family members have a Hock Krenov style plane iron and chip breaker they aren't using. I'd prefer 1 1/2 - 1 3/4" wide. Thinking to try my hand at a plane from scratch.

Thanks,
Ken

Hi Ken.
Sorry but I do not have any spare one but there is no need of having a specific Krenov stlyle Hock blade and chipbreaker.

If you have it, have a look at Krenov's book The impractical cabinet maker, and you'll see that what he did at the beginning was to cut the back of a normal plane blade.

Davind Finck's book Making and mastering wood planes is another good source of information on Krenov's way of making planes, and there is a chapter on making a chipbreaker as well.

Obviously Hock blades are very good and maybe that's why you want it:dunno: