Head stock spindle adapter question

Hi,

Where can I purchase a headstock spindle adapter for a lathe with 7/8” x 14 tpi headstock...one that will give me the standard 1” x 8 tpi?

I purchased a very nice Delta 46-140 woodlathe from Dan Gonzales (Dan & wife are really nice and the three children are jewels). It is in excellent condition. The down side is that it has a 7/8” x 14 tpi headstock whereas 1” x 8 tpi seems to be the standard for smaller lathes.

I have been able to find a chuck (Teknatool SuperNova2) at with the 7/8 14 threaded insert at Woodcraft. However this leaves me with the same oddball thread problem if I wish to purchase other attachments.

Penn State Industries has all kinds of headstock spindle adapters except the 7/8 14 that I need (Murphy’s Law*). If I could find a 7/8 x 14 to 1 x 8 adapter I believe it would solve the unusual size headstock thread problem and make this a very useable lathe. OR Is there a better way?

* Years ago one of my patients said, “Murphy was an optimist.” I have been laughing, groaning and crying about that ever since he told me.

Enjoy,

Jim

I spent the last hour looking on line. I agree with Frank and Al, have a machinist make one for you.
I'l add you may want to look around to see if you can replace the drive center to something that also allows use of Morse taper accessories.

Last edited:
Dan,

Do NOT worry. I walked into this with my eyes wide open (well almost wide open---I glanced at it and thought it was a 3/4" thread). I was very aware of the MT 1 also.

You now have my permission to sleep nights.

Tell your wonderful wife and three kids "Hi." for me.

Enjoy,

Jim