seeking rail & stile bit set

Bill Simpson

I'm either blind or corn-fused as usual but I haven't been able to find this profile for a rail & stile bit set. Any body got an Idea where? I looked in MLCS but .... in a double roundover, or would that be cut one side and then the other. But the matching stile??? They have it in an Entry door set but that is for a 1 3/4" thick piece, I need 3/4" thick. Somebody did it 100 years ago as these are for replacemnt shudders damaged in a fire...

Attachments

• rail  stile.JPG
    rail stile.JPG
    41.9 KB · Views: 51
Couldn't you run a round set positioned to center the slot and then flip the material?
http://www.holbren.com/images/T/t-360-234.gif

Glenn, the Stile looks like it would work, but I don't think the Rail would, because the square cut in the bottom of the picture would take out the wood that should be there in the curve radius, (or at least that is what it looks like to me).:dunno:

I know I have seen those bits in someone's catalog, but it has been a while. Maybe it was Infinity or that other Newer co in Fla when they started making bit sets to duplicate the older styles of furniture.:huh::dunno:

Glenn, the Stile looks like it would work, but I don't think the Rail would, because the square cut in the bottom of the picture would take out the wood that should be there in the curve radius, (or at least that is what it looks like to me).:dunno:

You are absolutely right. I didn't play that through thoroughly enough in my mind. Sorry about that.

What about if the squared cut part could be removed I ran across This Bit on rockler and it looks as though it can be removed so that the barring can be changed.

not sure if the size is what you will need though.. still looking around.

Even though it's a rail and stile it really resembles a tongue and groove type setup. Couldn't you take the groove side (the stile), cut the groove either with your router/table or your table saw then take a 3/8" round over bit to round the edges over? For the "tongue" side (the rail), I'm thinking a 3/8" cove bit cut on one side, flip the wood over, then cut the same thing on the other side would work. I may have the measurements off and it may be a 1/4" set that you need depending on how wide a groove you wanted to cut.