Sick of waiting.

Mike Grimm

Well, it's been my long standing belief that I was going to wait until I had a full sized, dedicated shop to fill it with tools. With that belief, I've told my wife we don't need to buy new furniture because soon enough we would be buying a house either w/ a shop, or I'd build one in a hurry so I could build our furniture myself.

Now, it looks like we are at least one more year away from buying a home, and therefore, another year away from a shop to call my own too :(

I'm sick of waiting. Really sick. We need some furniture. Don't get me wrong, we have stuff, but its all miss matched stuff that we've made due with, and we are both sick of that. So... the question I give to you all...

Keep waiting, or get some bench top stuff that I can use in our garage and just continue to share it with the mini van.

I have some tools already, but really need a planner, jointer and band saw to get cracking on building stuff. With those tools in mind, I think I could modify THIS or even make 2 of them to house everything and not completely take over the garage.

Mikey just wants to build!!!!!!

My 2nd question (I think I only asked one so far?) is, are the bench top stuff worth even getting? Will they hold up for my projects? Bed frame, dressers, TV stand? Or am I kidding myself with the hopes of getting things done?

I anxiously await your input.

There are major tools out there that have mobile bases (wheels on them that can be locked in place) like the Ridgid table saw that are what you need for working in a confined space. And they'll be just fine in a dedicated shop also, when you get to that point. Ridgid tools are also rated at or near the top in their price range. I also have a Ridgid jointer which I added locking casters to so I can push it into a corner when it's not in use.

I don't know about bandsaws - don't have one of those.

all of these items were made on benchtop tools. i have a benchtop bandsaw, but it wasn't used much. i have a jointer/planer, a delta 6" model. it can be done! :thumb:

its either that, or present your wife with a list of your demands, and ask, "what do you think hon?". :D:rolleyes::rofl:

Attachments

• dining chair finished.JPG
    dining chair finished.JPG
    99.1 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0498.JPG
    IMG_0498.JPG
    135 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0494.JPG
    IMG_0494.JPG
    138.6 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0488.JPG
    IMG_0488.JPG
    105 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0487.JPG
    IMG_0487.JPG
    108.8 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0486.JPG
    IMG_0486.JPG
    133.5 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0485.JPG
    IMG_0485.JPG
    95.8 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0484.JPG
    IMG_0484.JPG
    132.7 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0483.jpg
    IMG_0483.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 19
  • diningtable1.jpg
    diningtable1.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 18
That's difficult to answer generally. Personally, I made a big mistake buying a benctop drill press. I could have gotten the same model in a floor stye for little more money and would have a much more versitile unit.
Is your garage situation to where you could work outside in nice weather? If so, put everything on mobile bases and go into the sun to work.
That's a tough situation, more space is the only real answer.

How about this Mike, look around and buy decent used stuff, in the bench top vein :dunno:

Try not to spring for the full new price on these items, and then, if you need to, you can sell them down the road without such a hit on the prices.

A bench top planer, a portable planer, they are very capable of doing everything you need for the stuff you are wanting to build, just buy decent straight lumber to start with, and you will not need a jointer.

Spend the money on a good jointer hand plane, this you can use for years and years, and it will joint a nice edge to a board in no time.

If you feel the need to get a jointer, get a 6" one, again, look for used, there is a lot of guys out there that are selling stuff in these times, a decent 6" jointer on a mobile base takes up little room.

A 10" bandsaw can be a good investment, you can baby it along and do most stuff, and in the future, you can get a better unit, a larger unit, but keep the 10" bandsaw for scrolling type work.

one other thought, or two.... :D Work on your space, that link to the workstation is a good one, but if you are working in a typical garage, you can at least pull the minivan out into the driveway, and work in the space.

make a long bench along one wall, put your jointer under the bench, when you need it, you can pull it out, when not in use, it sits under the bench, make your 10" bandsaw sit in an alcove in the bench, but leave it on a mobile base, so you can move it out into the center of the workspace for a larger job. Get some outfeed roller stands, they can be used for nearly anything.

sawhorse1.jpg sawhorse2.jpg
Make up some of these, with a sheet of plywood, you have an instant assembly table.

The list goes on and on, if I can do it down in a hole under a building in the middle of Down Town Tokyo, trust me, you can do it where you are :wave:

Where are you at Mike? If you are close to some with a shop, you migth get the best of both worlds. You get to build and can hold on to your tool allowence for a year.

Thanks guys.

Dan you pretty much sinched it with your pictures. On a side note, you dont by chance have a set of plans for those chairs do you?

I've considered the large tools on mobile bases, but space is already at a premium in our garage with all the cra...I mean stuff... my wife has me store out there. I have a large bench now and room for the bench top tool storage unit I linked too, so in the end, I think thats going to be my way to go.

As for getting used stuff, this makes the most sense except that I'm leary I'm going to buy someones garbage and not be happy. Bench top stuff isn't all that spendy to begin with, so I think thats the route I'm most likely to go at this point. I'm just tired of not getting to build stuff, its driving me insane!:bonkers::bonkers::bonkers::bonkers:

First off, what is a minivan doing in your shop??? Next thing you'll tell us is that there are yard tools in there too :eek:. I would look at some of the "small shop" books, magazine specials or online articles and see if you can get some ideas that will fit your space. If you go with bench top tools try to be very selective and do your homework. there are some good units out there and as Dan shows, they can build some beautiful stuff.

Another option (which I have used) involves buying specific-life furniture. I bought pieces I would normally not buy because they were cheap, didn't look too bad and I knew I would build to replace them in the foreseeable future.

This keeps the dream of the shop alive, gets you something to sit on that you aren't too embarrassed by and allows you to build your skills and enjoy your hobby slowly but surely:dunno:. My coffee table is next on my replacement hit list and LOML already wants my current veneered MDF one for the TV room at her house. It can work.

Sounds like you've made up your mind Mike. Only thing I'd offer is to review tools and ask around as to what others are using, makes a big difference in a good deal and just buying cheap stuff. One of the best tools I've bought recently is a Bosch jig saw. I grew up using one of the B&D jig saws that shook your entire body as you were cutting with it. My old B&D went out and I was just planning to buy another cheap one and got to asking around. Boy, let me tell you, there is a difference. Anyway, good luck and don't hesitate to ask questions.

but space is already at a premium in our garage with all the cra...I mean stuff... my wife has me store out there. I have a large bench now and room for the bench top tool storage unit I linked too, so in the end, I think thats going to be my way to go.

Hi Mike,

I've been meaning to post pictures of my shop for a while. I'll try to get some on the site this week. However, it's the third bay of a 3 car garage and is only about 10'x20'. One wall is taken up by shelves for storage, another wall is my workbench. I also keep my lawn tools (lawn mower, weed eater, etc) in there as well as our bikes. Needless to say the 10'x20' space is reduced to about 8'x10' of usable space. Still though I have room for a nice table saw. It's on a movable base so I can move it around as needed. I usually don't move it though. That works well. The miter saw and router/table were purchased new but everything else was purchased used through Craigslist. It's not as nice as having something new but I also don't have a whole lot invested in them. Should I decide to get a new, bigger, band saw in the future I can just list the benchtop I have for free on Craigslist and not really be out anything at all.

Just my $.02 worth. ;)

which chair were you talking about mike? there are 2 of them in the pics. :D

here are some pics of my shop setup, biggest shop in the world, and i only use 2 benches... :rofl::rofl:

Attachments

• start of workday.JPG
    start of workday.JPG
    123.5 KB · Views: 28
I understand the fear of buying used worn out equipment. I would recommend, though, that a jointer is a simple enough machine that any issues could be exposed with a simple inspection. Are the tables flat? Are the bearings decent? are there missing or broken parts? Even if it needs bearings, they're not expensive and typically fairly easy to replace. A planer is more complex and maybe not a good rebuild to cut your teeth on. Having done a couple of band saws, they're pretty straight forward - typical repairs include new tires, bearings, and a good cleaning.
I agree that a jointer and a planer open up a world of new possibilities, but would argue that you can likely get by without a band saw for a while. There isn't much you can't do with a good hand jig saw unless you're set on resawing. You can build a lot of furniture without needing to resaw. Benchtop band saws are not be wellsuited for resawing anyway.

which chair were you talking about mike? there are 2 of them in the pics. :D

That tall backed dining chair would go nicely with the Trestle table I have my eyes on building, only I'd make the back just a hair shorter.

Thanks for the thoughts and opinions guys. All well said. After lurking here for such a long time, I see why people stick around. :thumb:

Mike, I got to thinking about the space challengeyou may have already been to these pages but they could help you with your decisions:

Drill Press, there are a few DPs that are just shorter versions of their tall cousins. Even a full size DP standing in the corner is usable and takes up minimal room. - http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/ToolGuide/ToolGuidePDF.aspx?id=28902

Planer, many members use Benchtop (or lunchbox) planers. these and decent sanders can get pretty heavy so these may be something that use a fliptop stand to half their footprint - http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/ToolGuide/ToolGuidePDF.aspx?id=29822
-and-
http://familywoodworking.org/forums/showthread.php?p=116629#poststop
-or seen here on the left-
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=107657&d=1232574027

Planer Sled, this can help you live without a jointer. Mine hangs on the wall - http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/SkillsAndTechniques/SkillsAndTechniquesPDF.aspx?id=24118 -and-

http://familywoodworking.org/forums/showthread.php?t=3978

Routers, a benchtop saw is the only place I could see you really going wrong so, assuming you will get at least a contractor model (although cab-saws have a smaller footprint), you can add a router table extension wing - http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/ToolGuide/ToolGuidePDF.aspx?id=24090
-and-
http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/ToolGuide/ToolGuideProduct.aspx?id=28710

HTH,

Glenn

P.s. if you don't already subscribe to FWW online, a one month trial would give you more data to look at than you could probably get through.

Last edited:
Mike,

Somebody said once before.

It's NOT all about the arrows - it IS all about the indian.

You could likely build an entire house and all the furniture in it with NO power tools at all.

From that point of view - benchtop power tools would be awesome.

NO - there is no "right" answer - its all about where you can spend money - and how much you want to spend.

That tall backed dining chair would go nicely with the Trestle table I have my eyes on building, only I'd make the back just a hair shorter.

Thanks for the thoughts and opinions guys. All well said. After lurking here for such a long time, I see why people stick around. :thumb:

Mike not sure where your from but if you are any where near south west TN i have a few bench top tools just sitting in the shop collecting dust.If you want them i'll give them to ya for free.I have a 9" delta band saw,12" planer,Old 4"craftman jointer,craftman benchtop roter table,and i'm sure i could find some other things to help ya out with.
Steve

my advice if you`re dying to start building a shop and have some cash to lay out is to invest in good quality handtools first, this includes a bench.
all of these will fit in either a spare room or part of a garage, you`ll literally be months gathering a quality set of bench tools and building a bench.
i like old tools and choose to use collector items as often as possible.
when you need a power tool such as a drill or skillsaw ask questions and folks will offer their opinions.
on the "benchtop" tools if you must buy portable tools then buy high quality "stuff" with the knowledge that whether you keep it or sell it later the pieces will be of good quality and should hold their value should you sell and be a joy to use if you keep `em.

One of the most important things you will need is a dust collector. You will live longer in many ways LOYL starts getting dust in the house.
A two car carport set on a simple pad in the back yard makes a great shop at a reasonable price and can be moved if the new house comes about.
Mark:wave: