Mini-Lathe Recommendations?

Hello Glenn, and welcome.

In several seconds you will learn the number one truth about woodworkers:
"Ask 10 woodworkers their opinion on something and you will get 20 answers."

That being said, I am exceptionally happy with my Jet Mini Variable Speed Indexing Lathe.

I can turn items 10" in diameter, and 14" long. The lathe uses a combination of matched pulleys and a variable speed system to allow "fine-tuning" the best speed for what I am turning. All in all a great lathe. I also will keep this lathe when I upgrade to a much larger one in the future.

Now a couple of things. You didn't post your location, but depending on where you are, you might want to attend a local woodturner's club meeting, where you may be able to get a hands-on feel of different lathes.

You can search for local clubs here.

Any of the Jet minis are considered to be great lathes for their size. I've also seen promising-looking reviews on the new Delta that Pete linked to. The Rikon midi lathe is also recommended by a lot of folks.

Anything but Delta. Customer service is non existant. I toasted the motor on mine, ordered a motor and while it was on backorder the price went up $50. No wonder they didn't want me to pay for it ahead of time. I am happy with the Jet I replaced it with.

Mini-lathe Recommendations

Very good choices,but it may depend on what you have,or want to spend.I have the Ricon,reason I got it was that I wasn't sure how much turning I would do.Another reason was it has a 12" swing and its a bit cheaper than jet.329.00 for the Ricon an 375.00 not sure on the 1220.anyway they are all excellent lathes with great custumer service.Good luck with what ever you get.

Welcome to the family Glenn!!! :wave:

So what kind of stuff are you looking to turn? Will probably help determine what knives and chucks your going to need to go with that lathe.

Sorry so late, was down in Holden helping on my brother in laws house. They just moved there and are opening a new family practice in town.

If you perused the pen turning forums, you will find they are practically places of worship for the Jet mini.
But, if you are shopping, check other brands also. Grizzly has several new models of mini/midi lathes that are serious work horses.

How much money do you want to spend? They range from around $200 to $600 and beyond. If money doesn't matter much, the Jet 1220vs is about the most delux in this range. That new Delta looks nice. I haven't heard a price on it though.

Glenn, Congratulations on choosing a fun hobby and welcome to the family.
Like many others, I use the Jet 1014 for my smaller turnings and also have a Jet 14-42 for larger turnings. I started on a Ridgid from Home Depot as my learning lathe and liked it until my son gave me the 1014. As many have said here, your choice may depend on what your future plans may be and what your current budget is.... My only recommendation is go as large as you think you might use in the future.. You can turn little things on a bigger lathe...

...But, if you are shopping, check other brands also. Grizzly has several new models of mini/midi lathes that are serious work horses.

I like Grizzly tools in general, and the Grizzly 10" models look pretty good, but personally I'd stay away from their 12" midi lathes, since the banjo has the tool post on the wrong side. This can prevent someone from getting the tool rest close enough to larger turned piece in some cases.

Like I said, the 10 Grizzly looks pretty decent on paper. Harbor Freight has a 10" mini that looks comparable to the Grizzly 10" models, too.

Very Grateful for Advice

Thank you all for your advice and opinions. I am more confident now about buying a mini-lathe and it being the right one for the job. I can't wait to see how my project "turns" out. :rofl:

Gratefully,
Glenn

Glen, take a second or two to introduce yourself in the new member section and include your location.

Often times folks "drive-by" with a question and we never see them again.

By getting to know each other, we can supply answers to questions that may benefit from geographical location. Knowing where someone lives allows members to point out local sellers and even make offers for sale to the right person.

Delta 46-460

You may wish to look at this one. Dan Russell, AAW Ga has been testing and demonstrating it. It sounds ideal for a midi. Price seem to be about $599. I have had good service with the new delta.
Peter