Holy Cow the New Ci0 is Here!!!

Stuart Ablett

Boy oh boy is this one amazing tool, will it wash the truck, clean out the toilet and walk the dog....? ah...... no...... :D but man does it cut wood! :thumb:
P4291139.jpg P4291140.jpg P4291141.jpg
One of the other members, sorry, I cannot remember his name right now, :doh: but he had not used any of the Ci tools before and he was really stunned at how well they worked.

The piece that we are both working on is a thin plater, it is only about 1/4" thick, and is made from the dreaded Keyaki (Japanese Elm) which is so very hard to turn when it is bone dry. I'm not kidding when I say it rings like a bell when dry. He did very well with this piece, and surprised himself with how well he did.

P4291143.jpg P4291144.jpg P4291145.jpg
Here I am doing my "Leatherface" impersonation :rolleyes: :rofl:

Boy does this tool cut, it is a round carbide insert and is designed to do a finishing cut on the inside of bowls etc.

Everyone had a good time over the last two days, and I finally got to do some turning :clap:

I also turned my first acrylic pen, I used the Ci1, with a r4 insert, it was so easy, it was funny.

Yep a good couple of days! :wave:

Looks like you had a blast! 2 days of nothing but turning...wow, that would be a great get away!

Is the Ci0 yours or did another member have one?

Are you going to become the Ci distributor for Japan? :dunno:

Looks like you had a blast! 2 days of nothing but turning...wow, that would be a great get away!
Not really two days, 9 AM until about 3PM, then to the L shop from 4 PM until 1 AM, but yeah, it was great
Jeff Bower said:
Is the Ci0 yours or did another member have one?
That one is mine, but two of the other members also got a set of the Ci tools, Ci1, Ci2, Ci0 and various cutters. They are also both really excited with them.

Jeff Bower said:
Are you going to become the Ci distributor for Japan? :dunno:

Nope, I introduced my friend Naoto Suzuki to Craig and Donna, at Easy Wood Tools, he already sells a ton of woodturning stuff, that is his business, and I'd not want to step on his toes, besides, he is one heck of a nice guy :thumb::thumb:

Cheers!

Stu, do you use the square or curved cutters? Which do you prefer?

John, I have all three of the tools, I have the Ci1 which is the larger of the tools, it has three cutters available, a square cutter, a rounded cutter with a 2" radius, and a rounded cutter with a 4" radius. Of those, I like all three :D

Seriously, all three have their places in my tool box, all three can be used for various things.

I also have the Ci2 tool, which right now has only a square cutter, the Ci2 is a fair bit smaller tool than the Ci1.

Lastly I have the Ci0, which has a round cutter, it is much more of a finishing cut tool.

Cheers!

This is what gets my head spinning.... There are so many tools out there and when ever you watch a "professional" on one of the DVD's doing bowls they seem to end up saying this is the one tool you need for bowls. How do you really decide? Buy them all and sell off the ones you don't use??:D It is this aspect of turning that is the most confusing. I know it will all make sense when I actually turn on but until then I'll keep trying to figure it out:thumb::rofl:

You are welcome John! :D

ci_tools.jpg
Here is a picture of my collection of Ci tools from >> Easy Wood Tools <<
From the bottom to the top;
Ci0 (new round cutter tool)
Ci2 smaller tool, good for smaller lathes, and for inside boxes etc.
Ci1 Easy Rougher, this is the original one I got, it was unhanded and I made a handle for it
Ci1 Limited Edition David Marks Bubinga 20" extra long handle tool

ci_tools_cutters.jpg
Here is a close up of the cutters
I don't have a square cutter for the Ci1 tools right now, the ones on the Ci1 tools are the 4" radius and 2" radius cutters.

In the interest of full disclosure, I have to say that Craig and Donna Jackson have been very generous to me with some free tools. I know they have done this to a number of the turners who early on saw the potential of these tools and supported them. I have made up some videos and put them on YouTube about the tools, but I only do this to spread the word, these are very, VERY useful tools, and have become as important in my turning as my skews and my bowl gouges, maybe even topping those two tools. :thumb:

I just do not want to sound like a shill for these tools, I would have gladly paid for them, in fact I wanted to pay for them, to support Craig and Donna, but they would not hear of it.

I got my buddy Suzuki San to distribute the tools here in Japan, and I really do hope that he and Craig to a LOT of business.

I am not a shill, but I am a convert, these tools just rock:thumb:

The David Marks Limited Edition 20" Bubinga handle is really sweet, it is a magnificent tool.

Cheers!

This is what gets my head spinning.... There are so many tools out there and when ever you watch a "professional" on one of the DVD's doing bowls they seem to end up saying this is the one tool you need for bowls. How do you really decide? Buy them all and sell off the ones you don't use??:D It is this aspect of turning that is the most confusing. I know it will all make sense when I actually turn on but until then I'll keep trying to figure it out:thumb::rofl:

Boy do I understand that, :D

The best advice I can give you is to only buy one or two tools at a time, and then spend some time mastering them before you open your wallet again. I've been very lucky, I do not have a bunch of tools on my rack that I do not use regular like, I use them all.

I can say that for a beginner, the Easy Rougher is very easy to use, and not at all scary like a bowl gouge can be.

Cheers!

Congrats, Stu. I've been hearing only good things about the Ci0. I'll be getting one when I have the spare funds.

I'm also no shill...I'm a convert. I had initially discounted the idea of the Ci1 since I'd already bought and used a couple similar carbide insert tools, and they were underwhelming, to say the least. One session with the Ci1 turned me into a fanboy, and I use it on virtually every piece I turn. I have mine in a 24" Monster handle, filled with lead shot. It smoothes out the bumpiest rides. :D (Speaking of Monster handles, Randy is running a "buy two get one free" sale on his handles. Here's the thread.) :thumb:

Stu,

I ordered one Monday. I did some finish turning a roughed out pecan bowl a couple of weeks ago. I understand why some call it pecancrete when it is dry. It was a pain to finish but turned out nice.However having a tool that might do better on very hard dry wood was to intriguing not to at least give it a shot.

It looks like it is working well for you. :thumb:

Thanks for showing it off

Alan

I have all three of them also I just got my Ci0 about a week ago haven't had a chance to play with it yet. I will say I do love Craig's tools. Couple these & my Thompson's together it's a combination that can't be beat.:thumb::thumb: