Beveled mirror for Bathroom cabinet

Dan Thibert

I have a friend of mine who just bought a house and needs a cabinet in his bathroom and I now have my first commission :thumb:

I basically told him he pays for the materials and then after it is done whatever he want to pay me will be fine.

The question I have is I want to put a mirror on the front door, where is the best place to get these?
I made a shop cabinet that worked out very well and I plan on doing something similar but instead of 1/4 ply for the door I will use the mirror.

Your help would be appreciated
Thanks
Dan

Any glass shop will be able to get you mirror. Depending on the size of the mirror and the size of the bezel will determine your cost. Look for a larger shop, they will have more material on hand, likely do the beveling themselves, and there for pass on the savings of a middle man to you.

Mike's got it. I get my mirror at the glass shop in town. Be prepared for sticker shock on the beveled vs. non-beveled edges. When I saw the price I skipped the bevel and went with a more ornate inner edge on the frame but, I was the one paying ;-)

No kidding on the sticker shock :eek:
I just made a few calls and I can get a regular mirror for about $15 and if I go with a bevel add $50 :eek::eek:

I think I will talk my friend into a standard mirror and I will make the door more interesting.

Thanks
Dan

Before you run off to the glass shop and have one custom made, check the local WalMart and see what they have that you can just take the cheap frame off of. I've heard several people say this can be quite a bit cheaper.

congrats on the first commission! :thumb: i remember my first one, when he asked what i would charge him for labor, i asked him how much he had:rofl:
then i told him 30% of materials (i'll go higher than that next time):thumb:
if it were me, i would build a frame for the door, route a rabbet deep enough for the mirror and a 1/4" plywood backer. then you could go nuts with the details. say, three flutes down the long sides with glued on rosettes in each corner. the only limit is imagination. :D

Good going on your first commission Dan! :thumb: Several times over the years I've heard that labor estimates worked out at 2 1/2 times the material. But I never had a chance to see how close that works out. Lately I've just been working time and materials and the customer has been happy with it that way. I need to hone my estimating skills so I can work up a proper quote so that I can work a profit into the equation:D

I made a shop cabinet that worked out very well and I plan on doing something similar but instead of 1/4 ply for the door I will use the mirror.

Your help would be appreciated
Thanks
Dan

Dan, normally just using the mirror without a Backer board of some kind isn't a good idea. The reason, is that without a backer, the silver coating on the back of the mirror has no protection and can get scratched easily, which then ruins the mirror.

Congratulations on the commission.:thumb: