What's in a name?

I always like company names that speak of the workers or the location. A name in a business speaks to long term reputation and accountability. Regional features speak to local investment, knowlege, and permanence. Your last name, the name of a significant landmark or natural feature near the shop, etc. Nothing so generic that every 5th business in the area uses it (like "Gateway . . ." or "Arch . . ." for companies in St. Louis), but more specific.
paulh

Just my 2 cents worth here, Chris' Custom Cabinets doesn't sound so bad either and the three C's and the way it rolls off of the tongue, people will remember it. Also will be impressed when the "owner" comes to measure out the job.

Trademarks

I did some research in Trademarks and Service Marks. It really simple, just add a TM of SM to the phrase. If no one else has claimed it, it's yours. Now if you are wanting a Registered Trademark that is another story.

But if someone else uses your TM then the burden of proof is on you that you claimed if first. A common method is to write yourself a letter and mail it to yourself. Put the 'Postmarked' UNOPENED letter in a safe place and that is your proof of the date you claimed it.

You can read all about that on the Guvment site. I looked it up years ago and I need to do that to claim a SM on my new business. Of course my Incorporation probably does that same thing.

Hi Chris, sorry to hear about your engineering job.

I agree completely with what Rob Keeble says, and on top of that I would suggest that in whatever name you choose do not include your name and surname.

While We all like to have some personal recognition although it may seem strange,what people have to remember is the name of your bussiness or brand name, not your personal name.

When people remember things or names they do it for good and for bad, if something goes wrong ( hopefully not) you can always start again with a new and different bussines name, and this is a thing that you can't do with your personal name.

Your customers will know you personally once you work for them, but what they have to remember is the name of your bussines.

Do not underestimate the power of names, brands and logos, they are the first thing that a customer meets and they tell many things about your bussines.

My two cents

wow, thanks for all the replies everyone. I am reading them all and soaking it all in. I definitely still have some thinking to do before I decide for sure that this is the right thing for my family.

I think now with hindsight I can see that at the time when I quit I was extremely stressed, running a business, contracting my own home, doing lots of work in that home and learning to raise a 1 yr old. At the same time I was in one of those phases I am sure we all go though where I was tired of doing what I was doing. Not necessarily ready to give it up on a normal day but add all those other factors in and that is where I was.

As for the name issues I have always been against using my name, although I do see everyone's point in why I should. I will be considering using my name as well as trying to think of other ones.

thanks again so much for everyone's thoughts and comments, it's nice to have a place to throw out your thoughts and get good sound advice from great people.

Chris

Im with tod on this.
Ive used contractors for different jobs, what I remember is the guys name when he did great work, reliable, and fair.(I dont remember xyz contracting, I remember Joe, or paul, or frank, and his number)
I believe word of mouth advertising is the best there is.

If you are going to be a one person business, then incorporation doesn't provide any extra financial protection (according to the advice I have received).

Doing business under an assumed name has small legal costs, but may have tax consequences... franchise taxes, etc.

Doing business under your own name (with a lower case subtitle, at most) and doing the finances through Schedule C on your taxes is the lowest cost, simplest option that I have found. Charles Plesums (custom furnituremaker) or Chris Mire, cabinetmaker (but not Chris Mire Cabinetmaker Services). It doesn't make a pretty sign or a logo for advertising, but my web site and word of mouth from existing customers has kept me busy continuously since I started "full time" over 4 years ago.

BTW, sorry about you not having a choice for the change in career direction, but not sorry about the outcome! I love woodworking.

Charlie Plesums
Custom furnituremaker
Former associate professor of computer science
Former(?) Electrical Engineer