Another chest

Drew Watson

Speaking of chests and eye candy and getting things back to the ww side of things like Nancy said. I was doing a home inspection last weekend and saw this chest in the residence bedroom and just had to take a pic of it to shere with everyone. I have no history on the chest, but it really caught my eye. I promised myself and the wife that one day i am going to make this myself. ( yea along with a dozen other projects). The carving is that of a dogwood like we have in our back yard.

Attachments

• 304 Cranberry lane,  home inspection 021.JPG
    304 Cranberry lane, home inspection 021.JPG
    49.2 KB · Views: 83
That's interesting, for sure!

I've seen a lot of chests with coopered tops - even made a couple myself - but that's the first one I've ever seen with coopered ends.

I may have to make one!

That's interesting, for sure!

I've seen a lot of chests with coopered tops - even made a couple myself - but that's the first one I've ever seen with coopered ends.

I may have to make one!

Drew, That is an interesting looking chest, I like it.

Jim, Is coopered meaning the part that looks like a segmented bowl?

...Jim, Is coopered meaning the part that looks like a segmented bowl?

Hmmm... Never thought of it as a segmented bowl. You lathe addicts have a warped perspecive. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: But yeah, it's segmented in the sense that the edges are cut to fit into a part of a circle.

Actually, "coopered' as I used it is more in the sense of barrel making - Think of the 'segments' as staves in a barrel, with the edges of each one bevelled for a tight fit to the adjacent ones.

Glad that everyone likes it. I thought it was rather unique when i saw it as i have never seen a chest with ends like that. I will try to get some more info on it when i see the owners next time. I expect that someone spent lots of time carving out the flowers. It is something that does inspire some "out of the box thinking".