Acacia Vase

A while back I posted this peice when I was roughing it out on my Jet 1220. Well, now its finished (except for buffing it out). 17"x6.5". I put in on the big lathe to hollow it, and used a steady rest. I made a monster type tool to hollow it, but I could only get about a foot deep with the angled cutter on it. I should have made another one with the cutter coming straight out of the end (or drilled and tapped the opposite end of my existing rig for a dual-cool tool) but I ended up cheating and going through the bottom instead, to complete the hollowing. If it wasn't for the depressions the jaws made in the tennon (which I used for the plug) It would have ended up almost invisible. This species of Acacia is pretty light so the piece is quite light in weight. The collar is desert ironwood, of course:D. I used that big "ship auger" to drill out the center. It is 1.5"dia x17". It cuts through endgrain like butter, and the auger action carries the chips out so there is no binding or clogging. It is a Bosch I got on Amazon for $23. It seems to be a very high quality tool, and the info with it says the tip is hardened to cut through nails and staples. I just don't understand how them Chinese can make it that cheaply:dunno:

Attachments

• acacia vase.jpg
    acacia vase.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 59
  • acacia vase2.jpg
    acacia vase2.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 44
  • Bosch auger.jpg
    Bosch auger.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 44