Is the Craftsman table saw worth the price?

David Johnson

Just received a flier from Sears and was surprised to see a 10"table saw on sale for $637. I have investigated this unit in the past and is is of respectable quality with some very good features. Question is "Is the price a good one and is the saw actually as good as the reviews have made it out to be"
Anyone have an expert opinion on this saw? I do not plan to go into business with it just replace an old 8" saw I've had since Noah was a pup.
Thanks for the input.
David

I think its one of their zip code models #00922114. Same saw I have. lots of good features like the trunion (sp?) is attached to the cabinet not the top so easier to align. I think this model is considered a hybred:huh::dunno:. Could use a little more horse power, and a better fence, it can deflect. All in all I have been happy with mine, had it for 4 years, and paid $549.00 then.

If it is the 22114 I'll agree with Tom. When I was looking, the fence really turned me off. I got the 22124 with the Bies fence and have been very happy.

Attachments

• RT-and-TS-view-2.jpg
    RT-and-TS-view-2.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 39
If it is the 22114 I'll agree with Tom. When I was looking, the fence really turned me off. I got the 22124 with the Bies fence and have been very happy.

If I knew then what I know now I would have got the 22124 with the biessemier fence that Glenn has also. I think that is the saw Rob Keebler has also. I want to upgrade the fence now and doing that the cost of the 22114 plus the biessemier fence about totals the 22124 with a smaller motor. the 22114 is still a good saw, I'm not sorry for getting it, there just are better ones out there for not much more $$$

Sorry I did not specify the model which is the 22114. I do know that it is wired for 110V which my shop is wired for. The 221124 may be but I have not looked at that one as closely. Is it also wired for 110V?
The model I looked at in the store did not really look that good with all the people poking,bending and fondling. Lots of hard hands there, but I feel it would fit my needs. The fence may be a problem so back to the drawing board.
Thank you very much for the input, this what I love about this forum. Good fast answers from those who use and know.
David

Is it also wired for 110V?

22124 will run 110 or 220. I have run mine both ways. There is no difference in performance on a proper dedicated circuit. I switched mine back to 110 as I needed another 220 circuit for my new jointer. When I put in the 12 slot panel I thought I would have room forever . . . . NOT! I just mention that in case you decide to put in a sub-panel and think a small one is "enough" :rolleyes:.

Hi David - The 22114 and 22124 are what are left of the Craftsman hybrids dubbed "zipcode" saws by the wwing community (the 22104 has been discontinued). They came out in 2004, are made by Steel City's Orion subsidiary, and have a large generally happy following. I had the 22124 with Biese fence for 3 years and thought it was a terrific saw. With good setup and blade selection there's not much you'll struggle to cut.

Here's a look under the hood of the 22114:
1-22124trunnion.jpg

You might also consider the new Steel City 35920 that Woodcraft has for $650, or the new Ridgid R4511 for $599. Both also made by Steel City, and both offer riving knives instead of a stationary splitter. The 22114 can be fitted with an aftermarket device called a "Bolt On Ripping Knife" (BORK) that is essentially a retrofittable riving knife.

And a look under the R4511 (pretty much the same as SC35920):
Ridgid_R4511.jpg
r4511topview.jpg

Last edited: